recommend amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NHxj4x4 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2007 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Guys,
OK, I punked out and went cheap and am not happy. I got a Boss (flame suit on) GT980 5 channel amp that is suppose to do 80x4 and 150x1 for RMS. With the speaker wire run (12ga Stinger) and without the interconnects even hooked up yet (just my subs, which are Infinity perfects) the rear speakers hiss like mad. Before you ask, yes it is the amp, I disconnected it to test, hiss went away. So here is what I am running in a nutshell:
Front: Fosgate 6.5" T162c Rated 75w rms
Midbass: Kicker 6.5" SSMB6 Rated 125w rms
Rear: Kicker 6x9" KS693 Rated 90w rms
Subs: Infinity Perfect 10d (2 in ported box)
I was looking around and came across the Infinity 5760a 6ch amp, rated at 56x4 and 107x2 rms. I guess my question is would the 56w from the 4ch be enough to run my fronts and rears rated at 75w and 90w? I know the 107w is just fine for the mid-bass. Any other thoughts on Ifinity amps? I'm trying to save trunk space and get a unit that can handle all 6 channels, and just keep the same amp for my subs which I am happy with.
Any help would be great.
Todd
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
The Infinity amp is a much better product than anything from Boss.  it should work just fine for you.
Support the12volt.com
NHxj4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
Well I hooked the rest (fronts and mids) to that Boss amp, and WHOA, the alternator noise is in a class on it's own. Anything below 3/4 volume it's like I'm listening to nothing but my alternator. I assume that the amp is entirely to blame for this, BUT is there something else I should also be checking?
I'm going to order the Infinity 5706a today I think. After all this work I did for the system to sound like this is really a bummmer.
Todd
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
although its a crappy amp, poor ground, poor rca's, remember the amp "amplify's what is sent via signal" What kind of head unit are you using as they may also be a source of noise?
NHxj4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
xtremej wrote:
although its a crappy amp, poor ground, poor rca's, remember the amp "amplify's what is sent via signal" What kind of head unit are you using as they may also be a source of noise?
HU is a Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT. This has been in 3 cars, same RCA's, same everything really (well not the speakers) and has never made a peep alternator wise. I'm thinking it might be the amp.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
Try it, then you'll know.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

NHxj4x4 wrote:
xtremej wrote:
HU is a Pioneer Premier DEH-P980BT. This has been in 3 cars, same RCA's, same everything really (well not the speakers) and has never made a peep alternator wise. I'm thinking it might be the amp.

Where do you have the amp mounted? I have had issues with low quality and even high quality amps picking up noise due to mounting locations, such as bare metal on the car.

NHxj4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:

NHxj4x4 wrote:
xtremej wrote:

Where do you have the amp mounted? I have had issues with low quality and even high quality amps picking up noise due to mounting locations, such as bare metal on the car.

In the trunk, mounted to a wooden subfloor, covered in carpet. Ground wire is attached to one of the rear seat seat belt bolts, to 3farad cap, to Stinger distribution block to amps. Power 4ga attached to battery, fused, run through firewall, down drivers side, to 3farad cap, to stinger distribution block, to the amps.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

NHxj4x4 wrote:
Ground wire is attached to one of the rear seat seat belt bolts, .

This could be your problem.  Seat belt bolts are a very poor location to ground an amplifier since they are generally hardened steel and bolt into nuts that are welded to the unibody.  Try a better ground location, such as drilling your own bolt mounting location with all paint scrapped off and using star washers.

Support the12volt.com
NHxj4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

NHxj4x4 wrote:
Ground wire is attached to one of the rear seat seat belt bolts, .

This could be your problem. Seat belt bolts are a very poor location to ground an amplifier since they are generally hardened steel and bolt into nuts that are welded to the unibody. Try a better ground location, such as drilling your own bolt mounting location with all paint scrapped off and using star washers.

I'll try to find another place to do this, but I'm not sure about drilling my own hole in a lease, we'll see. To be honest I have always used the seat belt bolt, never thought twice about it, always gotten a good tone with the multimeter there. I'll take the carpet off the sides of the trunk and see if there are any lips that I can drill, I just want to make sure I don't hit anything, and don't open it to the outside. I would assume that any metal I can find is OK regardless of the gauge or metal?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic