icon

What Material To Make Speaker Adapters?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ohlarikd 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, searched the forum for 'speaker adapter material', didn't turn up anything that I could find....
I have some Boston Acoustic Pro60s that I want to fit in to the 6x9 opening of my 05 Dodge Ram. The Kicker amp will put out about 120 watts into this speaker. I see there are various speaker adapters to make it fit, but they are the typical plastic that you see.
My question: Is this plastic going to flex in any meaningful way to make a noticeable degradation in sound quality? What if I layer it with Dynamat? If it is not recommended, what material should I make my own brackets out of? Some sort of MDF, plywood, other? And how thick should it be, 1/4"? 3/8"?
Thanks!
Derek
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

Generally I use mdf, with a layer of dynamat on the back side of the ring to minimize air leaks, but recently I have been turned on to some products from my local Tap plastics. There is a type of plastic there that is similar to that of cutting boards found in homes. The major benefit of the plastic is it's impervious to water and moisture. I have also noticed that they tend to crack less if there is a thin area.

It can be found in standard sizes, like 1/2", and 3/4" thickness. Ideal for speaker applications.

ohlarikd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
I will look into the plastic, although I am not sure where I would get it, or how to cut it at the moment.
How thick do you make you MDF rings? 3/8", 1/2"?
Thanks!
Derek
hamzter 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
depending on how much room you have, I would go with 1/2" but it the speaker will not fit, you need to look at the 3/8" or 1/4"
for rings, I usually cut the outer diameter first, then the inner diameter.
NOTE: on both cuts, leave 2 1/4" of wood uncut so that you can make both cuts.
Hope that helps.
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
1991 Infiniti G20 w/JDM SR20DE
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
Optima Red Top in the Trunk
ohlarikd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I guess I'll use the 1/2" MDF, seems like it will fit behind the panel. It's tempting to use the plastic adapters, but they seem so flimsy to me. Maybe they're fine, but I've gotten this far, might as well do the best thing.
Thanks!
Derek
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2007 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Do not use mdf in the doors for speaker baffles unless you are prepared to waterproof them (ar as close as you can to it). Your doors are always going to get wet on the inside and raw mdf is like a sponge. You must use fibreglass resin on them to try and keep them moisture proof., that goes out the window of course wherever a screw goes into it. A speaker baffle that warps is going to warp whatever is attached to it.....end result is a speaker twisted out of shape and eventually a blown speaker. A better idea is to use 1/4" black ABS. It is nice and strong, waterproof and does a great job.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ohlarikd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2007 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
Just when you think you know what is going on... thanks Forbidden! I've seen your million other posts, so I trust your experience.
Where can I get 1/4" ABS plastic sheets? Or are those Scosche adapters 1/4"? They seemed like 1/8".
Also - how do you cut ABS without it melting into globs? Cut in short bursts?
Thanks!
Derek
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2007 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I cut mine with a router so no nasty globs at all. Then I really got smart and had my friend who has a CNC Router machine blast me out as many as I need (that way he gets to keep all the mess as well). Use a jigsaw and secure the item down good to keep it from flapping all over. The Scosche adaptors are indeed a little too flimsy to use.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ohlarikd 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2007 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
How about Rigid High Density Polyethelene?
Like this:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=336&PHPSESSID=200707061232571933699877
Derek
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2007 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
My personal favorite is  Kydex which I get from from a local plastics supplier in 4' x 8' sheets in various colors and thickness. They also carry sheets of ABS plastic. BTW, try your local Yellow Pages. There just may be a plastics supplier in your neck of the woods you never knew existed.
What Material To Make Speaker Adapters? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic