icon

ipod

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lubrano 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
I have two cars which both have after market cd players.  One is sony other is pioneer.  I just got an ipod but these units do NOT have an aux input jack.  So, i ordered one of those fm transmitters so I can play my ipod in the car.  Let me tell you the sound quality was horrible.  Is there a better way to play my ipod in my car on these units or will I have to get new units with an aux input jack.  Thanks
sal
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

If your HU includes the ability to control a CD changer there may be an adapter available to turn that into an aux input.  Otherwise, sounds like a new HU is in your future.

Support the12volt.com
tampa77 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2007 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  

There are a slew of adapters that work through the HU's CD changer controls. They are specific to the HU by make, Kenwood, Sony, etc..

I agree that the FM versions are worse than humming to yourself.  I usually use sites like Crutchfield, they have an extensive database that takes the guess work out and will let you know if the HU can take it. The typical version uses the HU's CD changer controls to manage the iPod as well as show the song, title and so forth, unless you have an older or real low end HU, it should have the CD changer input.

This link will get you started, you need to select the specific stereo and it will provide the adapter you need. You can then order it or check Ebay.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7lTU4MebRdw/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=305250&avf=Y

sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2007 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

For the pioneer, you can get an adaptor for anything with a "P" in the model number, and for the sony, if you have an rca input on the back, than all you need is a couple buck rca to headphone plug. You can spend some extra money and get adaptors that charge the ipod and use the headunit to control it also, but not knowing the model numbers of the units, I can't be of much more help.

+1 on the crutchfield suggestion. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic