’96 Sunfire Widebody Progress

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
e36rok 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

bellsracer wrote:
Come to my city then, you'll see LOADS of civics with poor installs and lots of Suns and Cavis that rock. Then there is that insane Saturn that, I joke you not, has I think 6 wings all over it... o____o yeah.... There is that point where you go from stylin' to wth... (2 wings on the hood with some phony stick on pipes on the hood, 2 wings mounted on the roof, 1 on the trunk, 1 off the rear bumper) 

I meant any riced up Civic/Accord/Sun/Cav/Neon....I can't stand ricey cars but it especially wizes me off when I see any of these with giant wings on the back 'cause they're EVERYWHERE.

/End rant.

slimmatic 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
huber - Yeah, I have some fiberglassing experience. Here are a few pics of the door panels I made.
’96 Sunfire Widebody Progress - Page 2 -- posted image.
bellsracer - Thanks a lot for the comments. It's nice to hear people appreciate the work that is going into this. I really appreciate going to a show and seeing someone who has put custom work into their car, and not just installed a lot of pieces that anyone can buy.
e36rok - Please don't stereotype my car. If you don't like what I am doing with it that is your opinion, but do not just lump me into a group of "sunfire/cavaliers that look like crap". Just because someone else did a not install stuff correctly does not ave any relevance with my car. Also, this project will probably end up costing me $1500-$3000 when it is all said and done. I have a nice daily driver, a Toyota Solara, so this is my fun hobby car.
--
I got a few layers of glass on the front bumper.
Took the mold off and did a quick fit to see how it would look.
Started making the mold on the other side.
Took the mold of the bumper off. I then put down wax paper/tin foil so I could reattach it to finish glassing it and not worrying about trying to remove it later.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2007 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  

slimmatic wrote:
huber - Yeah, I have some fiberglassing experience. Here are a few pics of the door panels I made. 

~snip~

Wow... It could be just the photos or me being very tired, but that looks really slick, pun intended. Great sanding job on the skins. Still look wet!

slimmatic wrote:

bellsracer - Thanks a lot for the comments. It's nice to hear people appreciate the work that is going into this. I really appreciate going to a show and seeing someone who has put custom work into their car, and not just installed a lot of pieces that anyone can buy.

You are very welcome. There are tons of cars out there and not everybody can afford a "professional" custom job. Anyone who at least attempts to do what you are doing gets an A and huggles from me along with the respect. A+ for a good install

slimmatic wrote:
e36rok - Please don't stereotype my car. If you don't like what I am doing with it that is your opinion, but do not just lump me into a group of "sunfire/cavaliers that look like crap". Just because someone else did a not install stuff correctly does not ave any relevance with my car. Also, this project will probably end up costing me $1500-$3000 when it is all said and done. I have a nice daily driver, a Toyota Solara, so this is my fun hobby car.

My point exactly! I have seen more than my share of custom jobs and every one of them both good and bad have a unique touch to them that usually sets them apart (note: usually >.<) The point here though is the love of the idea and concept of making one's car their own. Anyone who can't appreciate that is a lot of hot (or cold) air. oh wait, airheads ^-^;

slimmatic wrote:
--
I got a few layers of glass on the front bumper. 
~snip~
Took the mold off and did a quick fit to see how it would look. 
~snip~
~snip~

Started making the mold on the other side. 

~snip~
Took the mold of the bumper off. I then put down wax paper/tin foil so I could reattach it to finish glassing it and not worrying about trying to remove it later. 
~big snip~ 
  Hehe... keep up the good work! I hope to see your Sunny sometime IRL. Best wishes for you!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
huber 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2007 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
No matter what....It will be custom at the end of the day...And that is what we live for right?’96 Sunfire Widebody Progress - Page 2 -- posted image......You are making great progress
slimmatic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2007 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
Got some packages in the mail today...
I can't believe how much better this resin is than bondo brand.   Thinner, longer work time. And using a roller makes a big difference in the smoothness.
Got both molds off of the rear panels, so adding some extra layers on the inside for strength. I have a wedding tomorrow, but will hopefully get some more done Sunday.
huber 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2007 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
The front bumper looks SICK
hub_n_hun 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2007 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

Nice job! Widebody's FTW. Here, I am going to post a link of another sunfire widebody thread I have been following. Very impressive stuff.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=240319&t=240319&p=61

slimmatic 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2007 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
huber - Thanks. I really like how it looks too, especially with the evils eyes on the hood over the headlights. Make the front end look "mean".
hub_n_hun - Thanks for the compliment! I have also been following the progress of that thread. When Vince started it last summer, I could not wait to get a daily driver so that I could start mine. He has given me a lot of motivation.
--
Small update... got up early before the wedding this morning, laid tinfoil down on the sideskirt and did the first few layers of glass. Hopefully this mold will come off easier than the others with masking tape. Gonna add a few more layers tomorrow after I get back.
--
Well, I've got about 4 layers on the driver side sideskirt. I'm still amazed how much better it is using tinfoil, and how great this resin is. It will make my job MUCH easier when I get to the sanding stage.
I also got 4 layers on the driver side fender. It is a little smoother this time. :)
My birthday is next Saturday, so I decided I would treat myself to a few days off of work. So I will have Wednesday/Thursday/Friday of this week off, and will hopefully make a lot of progress!
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2007 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

Well let me be the first to beat everybody to it....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

@@@

@@@@
\@@@/
\\\| ||///
\\| |//
//| |\\

Bit by bit, your lovely creation comes to life... I thank you for the progress reports. Keep up the good work. My prayers are with you... best wishes!

Keiika

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
huber 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2007 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

Ya happy birthday!!!!!!! 

Question about your project???  When you said you are useing tin foil.....How are you using it?  like layers of fleece??

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic