icon

key override sl

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmroussel 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

Is there an installer in north-america who is familiar with this by-pass from fortin, and who used it on a 2007 toyota camry xle equipped with smart-key?  Does it work good & is it reliable? 

any comments would be welcome;

j-marc
05gt 
Silver - Posts: 628
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  

I have used this bypass before, it works great in my opinion, but I haven't used it on a car with a smart-key yet

I have however used an idatalink product on my 2006 mazdaspeed6 with the smart-key, it also worked but the key light would stay on (not the immobilizer light), there is a fix for this but I haven't got around to it yet

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
So far I've worked on two Avalons and one Camry with that piece.....all three were push-start cars.
The piece works well, installation isn't too bad, and you don't have to go under the hood like on Nissans.
The bench-prep for the product is insanely stupid, like for example having to wire in a resistor, which they should have built into the module.
That being said, if you do carefully follow their install diagram to the letter, it'll work just fine.
I had to go finish one job that someone else started and couldn't get to work........but the reason it didn't work was because he failed to follow about half the instructions.
Again, the diagram for wiring up the module is complex, but it's fine as long as you pay close attention.
TIP: In their install instructions, they want you to interface with the car's brake wire with two relays. It's not only unnecessary, but the relay clicks on and off every time you step on the brake.
I did fine by just cutting the car's brake wire in half, putting heavy diodes inline.........and then I put the remote starter's Ignition 2 output onto the "bulb" side of the diode.........and the remote starter's brake input on the "pedal" side of the diode.
P.S. You can sign up a password at ifar.ca and read the install manual, even without having the product, to see if it's something you want to do.
There's a special manual for the Toyota Smart Key; that's the one you want to read.
jmroussel 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2007 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Chris for your good comments, I agree 100% about adding a resistor that they should have done it when they build the unit.

I have a copy of their special manual for the Toyota Smart Key & I find there is a lot of benchwork to do before starting the installation in the car.

I was talking to a tech guy today from IDatalink and he said they finally created a new bypass that will make the job easier; he will e-mail me the info in the following days. I'll get back to you with the info.

j-marc

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic