the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

dei xhf antenna mounting, reception

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Strykrincognito 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2004 Mustang with a DEI 6500ESP with the newer style more-modular XHF (I believe) antenna that is removable from the brain. When I sent my 6500 in for repair recently, they returned it with this newer antenna as opposed to the older, little flat square and whip stick-on that was originally used. (I realize that this antenna was also modular to some extent, but required opening the brain for removal).

Since reinstall, reception has been much weaker over significant distances, and nothing I've been able to do, including cleaning connenctors, repositioning, relocating internally, changing remote batteries, changing remotes, etc. seems to be helping. 
   I was wondering if there were any other things I could try, including even the possibility of externally mounting the antenna (with proper waterproofing of course). I realize that there are much nicer Viper 5xxx series that have up to a mile transmission range, however the costs are too high for me at this time.
   I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

Angel
Lone Technician
Percussive Therapy: The art of executing applied force directly to an object accurately in an effort to remedy the problem at hand.
nstaller36695 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  

does the old antenna not plug in to the new slot at all ?  but if you know what your doing you can try soldering the xhf antenna in and see if reception improves

the best part of a job is seeing the bumper get smaller over the horizon
Strykrincognito 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
nstaller36695 wrote:

does the old antenna not plug in to the new slot at all ?  but if you know what your doing you can try soldering the xhf antenna in and see if reception improves

The difference with the two 6500 units was small changes in unit design, connector placement, and, of course, the antenna itself. When I RMA'd the old unit, I sent it with the old antenna - as the older unit really wasn't made for a tech to keep swapping antennas. The new brain came with the new antenna, marked XHF. Basically I've checked everything I can think of, and I'm stil getting weaker reception than with the older antenna, however I know that the new brain changes how the antenna is designed, so it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

I suppose soldiering /might/ be an option, but really the question at hand was if anyone here has actually tried or has been successful at mounting said antenna exteriorly  (If that can actually be considered a word. :), and realistically, if that would create an environment that would foster better reception...

Angel
Lone Technician
Percussive Therapy: The art of executing applied force directly to an object accurately in an effort to remedy the problem at hand.
nstaller36695 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
i highly would not recommend external mounting of your antenna. its a SECURITY antenna i mean you might as well leave the windows down and the key in the ignition. all they have to do is cut it and the remote will not work,but as to poor reception the generic answer is the new 6500 probably in general doesnt have as good reception as the old model, but in truth they probably saved a million dollars switching it. but dei has many recources to obtain information and probably offers a better antenna if you check into it. and if they dont, maybe drop the 6500 and go to the new 5900. hope this helps
the best part of a job is seeing the bumper get smaller over the horizon
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2007 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
This may sound silly but take the following steps; is antenna plug pushed home properly at both ends? (Been  there) Is it mounted to a metal or glass surface and not shielded by metal obstruction? Lastly try reprogramming your remote controls! I have a G4 Clifford with a G5 (5 button) remote, the antenna is behind the A pillar and I get 80ft. range from inside a building through 2 partition walls and an alumunium door.
Strykrincognito 
Posted: July 13, 2007 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
This may sound silly but take the following steps; is antenna plug pushed home properly at both ends? (Been  there) Is it mounted to a metal or glass surface and not shielded by metal obstruction? Lastly try reprogramming your remote controls! I have a G4 Clifford with a G5 (5 button) remote, the antenna is behind the A pillar and I get 80ft. range from inside a building through 2 partition walls and an alumunium door.

I did try reseating the connectors before, and even tried a contact cleaner and related conductive lubricant, with little to no effect. It is mounted currently to the inside front windshield, pointing down, from roughly the center of the glass near the mirror. My windows are all tinted except for the front, and it's non-metalltic tint. The only material on teh inside of the front window is the stock pony logo in the middle mixed in with all those little dots.

I guess I'll check my connections again, and try that remote-relearn. Has that really helped before? Does someone know roughly what frequency  ranges the 6500's transmit on?

Angel
Lone Technician
cmk0808ny 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2007 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  

have it away from the dots in the windshield with the anytenna wire all the way stretched out.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2007 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
You appeared to have done everything OK, it's time for a story, my first Kenwood satnav was a 5 series BMW, couldn't get damn thing to recognise speed pulse, I thought leave the darned (Kenwood supplied) diode out and it worked.A company I worked with did one on an A series M/Benz  with the same problem, I told them what I did, the tried my trick and it worked. some months later I'm installing to an M/Benz SLK, same problem, no VSS, this time a friend says "you've tried a logical result, try illogic and put the diode back" yes it worked, hence the trick might be to erase and relearn the remotes; checking or changing their batteries at the same time. Good luck.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic