icon

heated mirrors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
genuineford 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone I am new to installing this kind of stuff I do have a good basic wiring knowledge and installed the remote started in my signature myself. What I am doing is installing a set of 2008 Ford super duty mirrors in my 2001. What I want to do is have a button that I push to turn them on and can push to turn them off or when I shut the truck off they will turn off. I realize I will have to tie into the ignition wire for some of this. I would like to know what equipment I need to use to accomplish this and if there are any tricks to doing this. Thanks in advance for all the replies and help.
2001 Ford F250 4X4 CC Diesel 4X4, Bulldog deluxe 500 remote starter, 750 watt power inverter
nstaller36695 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
ok first off good luck. maybe i can at least get you in the right direction. i need to know how many wires there are and if you have tested them to see if they heat up the mirror. if you have already done all that you need to find out what size fuse to put on them and maybe just hook it up to a toggle switch b/c the factory mirrors on an 08' are probably controlled by a timer through the ecm to prevent over heating and if theres more than 2 wires besides the normal 3 mirror wires there maybe a thermistor ( like i said about the ecm ) to prevent the over heating problem. side note-- some vehicles not equipped with certain features like doorlocks power windows etc....  just to save time some manufacturers will actually still leave those wires in the harness. so if you take the door panel off the wires might actually be in the mirror harness and all u have to do is find a factory power window mirror switch and plug everyhing up ------ assuming you have power mirror to begin with. and if the wires are there but it still doesnt work check the fuse box to see if the slot is empty from the factory
the best part of a job is seeing the bumper get smaller over the horizon
genuineford 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help so far. Yes my truck has factorry power mirrors that part I am not worried about. I dont have the new mirrors yet to see what the wiring is but I do know it comes with a wiring diagram so I will know if it has a thermistor in it or not. I didn't just want to install a toggle switch or somthing on that order I was looking to set it up somewhat like an overdrive off button for a vehicle. So that you can turn it on or off while you were driveing but then it turns itself off when you shut down the vehicle and doesn't turn back on without pushing a switch. I dont know if that clarified things at all or not.
2001 Ford F250 4X4 CC Diesel 4X4, Bulldog deluxe 500 remote starter, 750 watt power inverter
nstaller36695 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i got you and sorry for the essay to clarify the factory mirror defrost probably works through the ecm. which means there may already be wires pre-ran in the mirror harness in the door for the defrost <which would be easy, and like i said above all you may really have to do is buy a door switch with the defrost button on it. also are the new mirrors factory or "factory like" .  b/c that makes a big difference
the best part of a job is seeing the bumper get smaller over the horizon
genuineford 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2007 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  

I see what you are saying about the wires being there already, but I don't think they are. And yes the new mirrors are factory ford. I will be able to tell you more next week. They are comming in today but I wont get a chance to touch them before monday night. Thanks again

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic