icon

can't find these diodes anywhere pic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slamdaccord 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

i searched and searched and can't find these diodes anywhere. does anyone know where i can find these or if there is a specific name for them? i tried "diode and blocking diode" and came up with nothing

can't find these diodes anywhere pic - Last Post -- posted image.

ringojam 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
All that is is two 3amp diodes with heat wrap on them ,the are usually found in prestige remote start alarms,used to isolate the hood pin switch.
Jamaica home of the worlds fastest man.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
It's just two 1 amp diodes (1N4001/L) soldered together at the anode ends most likely and to three wires, then wrapped in heat shrink.
can't find these diodes anywhere pic - Last Post -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
slamdaccord 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

so if i get these...which way are the bands/rings around the diodes suppose to face - towards the alarm or away from the alarm? ive used these before but i forget everytime

http://cgi./575-Diode-Assortment-1N4001-1N5365B-NEW-D1_W0QQitemZ150140806642QQihZ005QQcategoryZ7287QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  

The anode is the side AWAY from the line, so solder as follows:

--Cathode------------( I      )------Anode------------\______________Solder to below

---Cathode-----------( I      )------Anode-----------/''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Solder to above

The search function is your friend.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
1. Cathode (side with the stripe)
2. Anode (side without the stripe)
3. Anytime the cathode is more positive than the anode, no current will flow.

can't find these diodes anywhere pic - Last Post -- posted image.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
slamdaccord wrote:

so if i get these...which way are the bands/rings around the diodes suppose to face - towards the alarm or away from the alarm? ive used these before but i forget everytime

http://cgi./575-Diode-Assortment-1N4001-1N5365B-NEW-D1_W0QQitemZ150140806642QQihZ005QQcategoryZ7287QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can't post eBay link on this forum, so I can't see this link and I don't feel like guessing the correct address. Just go to Radio Shack. They are like $.89 for a pack of 2 diodes. You want 1N4001 diodes.
You still haven't said what you are trying to accomplish with the diodes. I'm going to guess you are trying to isolate some (-) door trigger wires. In the pictures in your first post, put the diode stripes on the right side. Connect the 2 wires on the right to the door triggers in the car. Connect the wire on the left side to the alarm brain.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2007 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

Directed supply them as 2 x1n 500 series for direction indicators for European i.e. Uk market or make them up ourselves for BMW Ford etc , you know the part where it says "diode isolate" can't find these diodes anywhere pic - Last Post -- posted image. Seriously though the UK equivalents to Scosche etc. sell them made up as alarm accessories, oh what a surprise.

Sorry its Friday evening and I'm in a cynical mood, surely anyone aspiring to install alarms should know about diodes and their applications e.g. UK Mini requires 6 x 500 series for indicators and 2 x 400 series for door contacts.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic