lighting project using 44 leds

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rehtro 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2007 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  

Hello.

I'm looking to get help in designing a simple circuit to run 44 LEDs off of a 12v power supply.

I have very little experience in electronics, and from the little I've read/found out this is pretty simple.

This is what I'm trying to do:

I have 44 LEDs purchased from superbright leds

10 RL5-R12008 red LEDs @50 mA

9 RL5-G13008 green LEDs @ 30 mA
10 RL5-O5015 orange LEDs @ 20 mA
5 RL5-Y10008 yellow LEDs @ 50 mA
9 RL5-B4630 blue LEDs @ 30 mA
1 BA9S-G @ 18 mA

The LEDs are divided between 15 different groups:

1) 7 reds

2) 7 blues
3) 7 greens
4) 7 oranges

5) 4 yellows

6) 2 oranges
7) 2 reds

8) 1 blue

9) 1 green

10) 1 yellow

11) 1 red

12) 1 blue
13) 1 green
14) 1 orange

15) 1 green

These colors (LEDs) are being displayed through two to three different types of plastic, therefore yeilding a different glow/intensity.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to have a potentiometer per group. Thus 15 different potentiometers. The potentiometers will be used to equalize (dim) the different colors/groups so that all the leds glow at about the same intensity. Wired in parallel.

Aside from the LEDs, I have a 12v .21A computer power supply.

I'm looking at using a separate resistor per LED (excluding the BA9s-G since it's already protected). The reason being is that once the LEDs are in place, they won't be easy to access. If a resistor should fail, I rather replace its respective led rather than the group.

1) What resistors do I get -all 44 separate 470 ohm resistors or does the value of resistor change per different LED color?

2) what potentiometers do I need for each different group? I'm looking at being able to dim each group to zero.

I really don't want to trouble anyone, and I hope I'm in the right place for some help. If someone just wants to give me a formula, I can give it a shot with the math and just post what I came up with before I buy all the parts. Aside from the leds, resistors, potentiometers, and power supply, It was also recommended that I buy an in line regulator so I don't have to keep messing with the potentiometers  once I have the intensities set where I want them, but my understanding is that the power supplys used with computers are already regulated. I don't mind buying other things to make the circuit more effecient -i.e. a better power supply or making substitutions in the event that what I have isn't adequate. I'm free to suggestions.

I understand that your time is valuable and I'm under the assumption that some of you can probably map this out in your sleep.

thanks advance

sincerely,

R

rehtro 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2007 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  

Hello.

Pretty new at this sort of thing. I posted a while back, but I think my question was too vague.

This is what I'm trying to do.

I have seven green 13000 mcd (30 mA each) leds purchased from Superbright Leds who recommend that I use 470 ohm resistors with their leds. I wired the leds in parallel running off a 12v power supply.

The Leds are behind a green opaque panel but I couldn't get the leds to shine through  enough. What I had to do was group the green leds into clusters of three (instead of single leds) and step down the resistance to 220 ohms.

It works great! The 3 cluster leds running off the 220 ohm resistor give me the brightness I need. 

I was hoping to use  just one led with a 220 ohm resistor, but I figure the led won't handle the load for long, and added the other 2 leds to share the load.

Here is the problem:

Will I eventually burn out the 3 led cluster by stepping by using a 220 ohm resisitor instead of 470 ohms?

Thanks in advance!

hotmilk400 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2007 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
it should handle the load.  the amperage should make up the differnts.
12 volts source
3.3 volt LED
-----
8.7 volts
8.7 volts / .09 amps = 97 ohms 
this means that you are fine, u are in the range and wont have to worrie about the resistor being to small
i wouldnt change teh resistor to anything lower, jsut incase voltage changes or anything.  if your car is 14 volts or the LED's draw less amps, u will want the resistor higher.. so u should be ok with what u have. 
also, u have 3 leds on 1 470 resistor, if u add 2 more resistors, your light will increase greatly.
normally its  1 resistor per light
rehtro 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2007 at 5:28 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Hotmik

I'm curious however on how  you got the 3.3 volts for the LED? This is how I worked the math. Odds are, that I'm wrong and you're right!

The ones that I'm primarily concerned with are the green leds. The specs are a continous forward current of 30 mA. The max foward voltage is listed as 4.0 and the typ (I guess that means typical foward voltage??) is listed as 3.5. I subtracted the max forward voltage from 12 volts (the pwr supply) to get 8 volts. I then divided by .03 (amps) to get 266 for the resistor to be used. But you mentioned that I was in a certain range. That I could actually go lower on the resistance to get a brighter glow.

The only problem that I have, is that the 3 green leds need to be tied together. That's why I thought it would be easier to just distribute the load among three leds using one resistor, but you mentioned that I could get a better result by using an individual resisitor per led.

what do you think?

hotmilk400 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2007 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, i use 3.3 volts as a standard voltage for LED's they normally range from 3.3 volts - 3.6 volts.

i would not do that math based on the LED's Max voltage, because from what i understand, anything over that max voltage will blow the bulb. also, using 4 volts may decrease the bulbs life greatly. i would stick with the 3.5 volts, which is the normal counties operating load it should work at.
Also, if your LED’s are in parallel, which is how they are wired up, then your aperage is not 3mA anymore. Because you have 3 in parallel, then you must multiply the amperage by 3. Which makes the total load of the 3 LED’s 3.5 volts, at 9mA . You must then find a resister that will run that load on a 12 volt circuit.
12 volts
- 3.5 volts
-----
8.5 volts
8.5 volts / .09 amps = 95 Ohms
that means the correct resistor for that load should be 95 ohms for 3 LEDs.
if u have a 220 ohm resistor on 3 LEDS in parallel, you will be safe. i wouldn’t change that setup at all. if it looks ok, then keep it. if you wish they were a tad bit brighter, then maybe u can tweak it by adding another 220 ohm resistor in parallel with your first resistor. (just add the extra resistor where u have the other one, NOT IN SERIES, or your LED wont produce much light, adding it in parallel will give u 110 Ohms, whitch is much closer to the 95 ohms that is recumended)
that would be like using a 110 Ohm resistor. it will be cutting it close ( you have a 95 ohms minimum) so it would be a lot brighter. If you decide to do this, make sure your source voltage doesn’t go over 13 volts..

Normally you would use a 470 ohm resistor on a LED because the average specs on a LED is:

3.3 volts
.02 amps (2mA)
on a 12 volt line, that would be a 435 ohm resistor. i would say that they suggest a larger resistor because voltage could change easy at any time. also, there isn’t much of a different in Light output with a larger resistor.
if u have any other questions, please ask them , ill be happy to answer them for u

rehtro 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 5:35 AM / IP Logged  

Very kind of you Hotmik. I really appreciate it.

What I'm trying to do here is prolong the life of the led, keep the operating environment cool (since it won't really be all that accessible once I close it up, and get the brightness I need all at the same time.

OK. I WON"T use the max voltage. What about the TYP voltage as per the spec sheet? For instance: the specs for the green leds I'm using are found here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/g5_specs.htm. You'll see that the green leds Max voltage is 4.0 and the typ is 3.5

The red leds max volatage is 2.5 and the typ is 2.0

orange leds max volatage is 2.6 max voltage and the type is 2.2

yellow leds max voltage is 2.5 max and the typ is 2.2

blue leds max voltage is 4.0 and the typ is 3.5

The spec sheet however doesn't address what typ is. I guess it means typical or average. Could I use those typ numbers as per the spec sheet  or am I good to go with the figure that you posted, 3.5?

Just trying things out as per the spec sheet so I don't go buying the wrong resistors.

Thanks again!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic