icon

retained acc pwr and dome supervision?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
souljaj 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2007 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 1979 Chevrolet Monte Carlo with a Clifford Matrix 10.5x installed in it. I've installed a relay for the retained accessory power until a door is opened and closed, and it's working great. What I'm trying to do is connect another relay for the dome light supervision feature. I've done this and it works.

The problem is that once I turn the ignition off the dome light comes on and then goes off in 30 seconds; the alarm seems to perceive this as a door being opened and closed, and then shuts off the radio. If I disconnect the dome supervision relay, turn the ignition off, then flip my dome light switch on and off the same thing happens.

The car has Negative (-) door triggers. (The dome lights come on when the door jam switch is grounded)

Is there any way to have both of these features on this car, or is the alarm sort of programmed into a corner?

souljaj 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2007 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Anybody?
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2007 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
Domelight supervision does 2 things on a DEI system. It turns on the domelight for 30 seconds when you shut off the ignition, and it turns on the domelight for 30 seconds when you unlock the doors.
If you go into programming and turn OFF an option that is labeled something like "Ignition controlled domelight" then the retained accessory power option would work correctly. The domelight would still turn ON when you unlock the doors. The domelight just wouldn't turn ON when you shut the ignition OFF.
If you really want the ignition controlled domelight feaure to work, there is a way. You will need to cut the factory doorpin wire. Insert a diode inline on the factory wire with the diode's stripe on the doorpin side. Its probably high current, so I would use a 6 amp diode. Connect your alarm's door trigger wire on the doorpin side of the diode. Connect the Domelight supervision output of the alarm on the domelight side of the diode. Doing that will allow the alarm to only see a (-) on the door trigger wire when the door is open, and not when the alarm is turning on the domelight.
Hopefully you followed that, if you didn't you can PM me an email address and I could email you a drawing.
souljaj 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2007 at 4:09 AM / IP Logged  
I'll probably try one of those tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the help.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 21, 2007 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
There's one more option that might work for you. It worked on my '94 Caprice; not sure about your Monte Carlo.
At the driver's doorpin, and also available at the steering column, is a tan wire that is a driver's-ONLY door trigger. It feeds the keysense wire for the key-in-ignition buzzer.
You could use this tan wire to trigger your retained-accessory-power relay, and then just leave the alarm as it is.
Just keep in mind that if for some reason you were to exit the car through the passenger door instead, the radio would never turn off. Just be aware of this, to avoid a dead battery.
ranger svo 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2007 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

I had the same problem in my Ranger PU. Its actually a simple fix.

Now in my truck, door trigger is positive and my Code Alarm uses a Positive domelight output. For negative outputs just a few minor changes need to made. The third relay simply breaks the connection between the shut down relay and the domelight when the alrm turns it on. The radio will still shut off when the doors are opened. retained acc pwr and dome supervision? -- posted image.

One thing, I dont really think the diodes across the relay coils are completely necessary, but its my truck and I'll do it the way I wanna.

The moving power of mathematical invention is not reasoning but imagination.
Augustus de Morgan

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic