icon

smoke pouring out dash and deck dies

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lkout4trucks 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2007 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
ok so im running the stock mp3 single disk deck on my gmc cnayon (the chevy colorado) and i have an adapter to run rca's hooked up along with an aux interface.
i have an amp hooked up that runs my 12" sub and i jsut got another amp to power my speakers(infinity reference). here is my problem...
i cut the speaker wires for the door (LF +/- tan/gray and RF +/- lt&drk green wires). i then ran them to my new amp and reinstalled the deck. i turned it on and BOOOOMM the deck starts to short, then smoke comes pouring out the dash and the deck dies.
i opened up the dash. wiring all seems fine. opened the deck, nothing seems burnt but i think the diplay internals are obv. F'd.
did i wire something wrong??? HELP ME PLEASE!!
05 gmc canyon reg cab
*homebrewed goodies are my friend*
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2007 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, obviously you wired something wrong.  I suggest you take your vehicle to a local installation shop and get some help.

Several lessons from this story: 1) NEVER just start chopping wires in a vehicle.  Get the proper wiring harness adapter, wiring diagrams, etc..  2) KNOW what you are doing before you start.  PLAN AHEAD.  Have all the tools and parts you will need, including wiring, fuses, etc. for amps. 3) If you don't know what you are doing, go to a pro and get installation assistance.  Pay the fee for an installation or pay the much bigger fees to get your vehicle repaired.

Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2007 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Where there is smoke, there is fire. You are probably quite lucky that you still have a truck. Take the advice above and head into a shop, a good shop.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2007 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you hooked up the outputs from the deck to the amp, rather than the speaker side of the wires.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,677
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 19, 2007 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
Once again the theory is confirmed.  Electronic devices do not work on electricity, they work on smoke.  If you let ALL of the smoke out, they quit working.

The output IC's in newer radios are a lot more sensitive than they used to be.  It is always a better idea to use a Line Out Converter instead of running speaker wires of your deck into the high level input of an amp.

And like the others have said, usually a MUCH better idea to get it done at a reputable shop.

lkout4trucks 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2007 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
i normally know exactly what i am doing and i would never attempt something i didnt feel i could do and do correctly.
the deck is the only thing that burnt so im thinking i could have crossed rca's somehow by accident but i dont believe so. i just checked and all seems correct. idk if i possibly just pinched something somewhere or what.
the only wires that i cut where the speaker wires for the front speakers. **the line output converter is hooked up through my rear speakers (tweeters in my truck) would that even make a difference though??*** thats the only real question i think i have at this point.
thanks for the feedback so far everyone.
05 gmc canyon reg cab
*homebrewed goodies are my friend*

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic