icon

arm viper with factory remote?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 3:06 AM / IP Logged  

does anyone know if there's any way to arm a viper 5900sst with an oem key fob?  i know there are some alarms out there that have an arm and disarm input so you can arm the system without the alarm transmitter (ive seen this on audiovox ones)  i know i can get the remote start portion to work with my factory fob, but is there any way to arm and disarm the viper with the factory keyfob that anyone knows of?

s_p_n_k_r_07 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 4:15 AM / IP Logged  

I've seen this once,   Keep in mind I've never done this only seen it.   lol  I love disclaimers.

If you split the remote like your going to change the battery or whatever you'll have a little circuit board. on this board are the traces that the pad on the back of the button connect when you press it telling it to lock or unlock or whatever.    To have the viper lock/arm you need to connect the two contacts below the lock button, so... solder wire to the two sides of the contacts and put one to 30 of a relay and one to 87,  do the same for unlock/disarm contacts in the remote with another relay and use your factory arm/disarm wires to trigger the relays respectively.     When the lock button on the factory fob is pressed you'll be locking the doors, arming the factory security, and when that happens it will trigger the relay and "press the lock button" on your viper remote hidden somewhere in the car,  arming that system too.    the only pitfall is its tedious solder work and your still using the viper remote so battery life is an issue. 

or you could get the hornet  700t that is designed for this. 

I saw this done once for a piggy back remote start system, it was some off brand without a (-) input activation wire, and they had an audiovox alarm,  the audiovox trunk release was wired to a relay doing what I listed above and it worked fine.  the installer even ran the wires and the frankenstein remote to the glove box so the customer could access it to change the battery once a year.    The funniest part of all this is the fact that after all that hard work and time and I'm assuming money to do they could have just bought an actual alarm remote start combo.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 5:24 AM / IP Logged  

If you are going this route get a voltage regulator and replace the battery with it.  That way, as long as the car has battery power the remote will, too.  No changing batteries.

Kevin Pierson
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
Why would you buy an alarm/remote start with long range so you can use an OEM keyfob? Doesn't that defeat the point of having a 2-way system?
If you did what spnkr07 said above then you could also arm and disarm the Viper by pressing the lock/unlock switch on the door. Sounds like a real good security system to me.
There must be more to why you want to do this. Do you only have 1 remote, but 2 different people drive the car? Any other reason?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
There are more and more vehicles that have the keyfob built in to the key, thus making it cumbersome to carry the big key and an extra remote.  I know I wouldn't want to.
Kevin Pierson
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:
There are more and more vehicles that have the keyfob built in to the key, thus making it cumbersome to carry the big key and an extra remote.  I know I wouldn't want to.
Then why buy a 2-way remote start alarm if you don't want to carry the remote?
I believe for pretty much all those vehicles that come with a key w/ a built in remote you can buy a key from the dealer without the remote. Then you don't have to carry the cumbersome remote around. Example....Honda Accord. You can buy a transponder key from the dealer without a remote for $25-$30. Carry that, with your aftermarket 2-way remote and you are all set. If you can't afford another key for $25-$30 then maybe you should reconsider driving a new $25000+ vehicle.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Theres no easy way of doing it. I havent seen any DEI stand-alone products that do like that.
hurleyloser wrote:

does anyone know if there's any way to arm a viper 5900sst with an oem key fob?  ...to work with my factory fob, but is there any way to arm and disarm the viper with the factory keyfob that anyone knows of?

Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
johnmax 
Copper - Posts: 131
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

JWorm wrote:
Why would you buy an alarm/remote start with long range so you can use an OEM keyfob? Doesn't that defeat the point of having a 2-way system?

For the same reason I have. I have a Infiniti FX with the intelligent key, and a Viper 791. Sometimes I don't want to carry both remotes. If I could use the door handle buttons (or the Intelligent key remote) to disarm the Viper then it'd be handy when I want to leave the 791 remote at home. Same as if you had a newer car (chrysler,toyota) with the remote built onto the key.

s_p_n_k_r_07 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2007 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  

profuse007 there is a DEI system that is designed to be an add on alarm to factory keyless.   its the Hornet 700T.  It has all the features and programming of a standard DEI system just no remotes.   The install looks a bit more in depth than a Viper 350 but it has a few other wires that need connected like the disarm defeat wire to avoid the issue that jworm mentioned by being able to disarm the system by pressing the unlock switch on the door.

hurleyloser 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2007 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  

JWorm wrote:
If you did what spnkr07 said above then you could also arm and disarm the Viper by pressing the lock/unlock switch on the door. Sounds like a real good security system to me.
There must be more to why you want to do this. Do you only have 1 remote, but 2 different people drive the car? Any other reason?

Alright sounds like there's some unnecessary arguing going on here, so let me clear somethings up.  I'm not saying I want to dump my 2 way remote.  I could have easily just kept my OEM alarm and added triggers to it if all I wanted was basic security.  I got the 5900 for the 1 mile range and remote start.  The thing is 90% of the time I'm out with my truck, it's at work... across from my bay in plain sight, and just foot steps away.  I don't really feel it necessary to have 1 mile range then, or walk around dropping that billion dollar remote, putting dents scratches and all kinds of damage in it.  Also, I wanted to be able to take my truck in for service, or have the valet take it without handing over my remote.  Wouldn't it be nice to still have the added viper security while it's on their watch?

Second, spnkr07 is on to something and that's probably the only way I can get it to work.  I've done it before (soldering a remote) on a customer's car that had an aftermarket starter kill that he had to deactivate everytime he got in the car to start it.  (incase you're not getting the conflict in this situation... he was getting remote start installed)  Also, spnkr07's mentioned method wouldn't defeat the purpose of the alarm by allowing it to arm and disarm with the door lock/unlock switches.  Easy fix... wire the remote lock and unlock buttons to the lock and unlock motors on the car, with a relay wired up to the door's actual switch that would inturrupt the signal from the unlock motor to the viper remote whenever the switch was used.  Simple.  That's the way the Hornet 727t OEM upgrade alarm works.

Another point.. the OEM upgrade Hornet 727t alarm would have not helped me much, I already have a factory alarm on my truck, I got the 5900 for the remote start, 2 way page, and range; also, they do not have the same features.  Same basic security, but the 5900 has more auxillaries as well as remote start.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas, I'm sure now that the only way to get this thing to respond to my OEM keyfob would be to buy an extra remote and crack it open.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic