icon

all professional installers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
adz1910 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  

hi, im just posting to ask some advice really, i am extremely interested in car audio electronics and really want to become an apprentice/trainee for an installer company, i am going to write some letters to companys in the area asking them about positions.

i guess what i want to know is, what do they look for? i will need to be trained, i have no real experience apart from working with my own car (nothing special) will i need qualifications to get into this business? or can they be earned by training? i really dont want to go back to college and would rather learn on the job but if thats what it takes then so be it. I am currently 19 and live near london UK. I would love to do bespoke boot builds and custom installs professionally, and really have a thing for sq.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

Adam

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
I can't speak for the UK, but I can say that requirements here in the States are FAR stiffer than they used to be. Most places (at least the "Big Box" stores) won't hire you on without at LEAST some sort of formal training, or a couple of years in the industry.
15 years ago, when I was installing for a living, (and I've been in audio of some sort or another, whether selling, installing, or advising, since before you were born... all professional installers - Last Post -- posted image.)one could simply show a bit of electronics knowledge, and you'd be hired; that knowledge could be as little as understanding ohms, and that you connect the red wire to the positive battery post. Not so much anymore.
With all of the HIGHLY sensitive electronic circuits in cars today, it is vital that you know what you are doing, or you could cost the shop you work for a $2000 (£1000) ECU, or $1500 (£750) airbag reset, and that might be the end of your career, just by poking the wrong wire, or inadvertantly nicking the insulation on something you didn't mean to. While that is most likely a worst case senario, and far more likely to happen with a security install than a "deck and four" it CAN happen.
It won't be easy, but if you can find a place to work with little to no install history or knowledge, listen to everything they tell you, and thank your lucky stars you have found someplace willing to allow you the opportunity.
:::::EDIT::::: For my fellow Americans, "bespoke" is a british phrase for "custom".
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
As a small shop owner, I personally look for people that are willing to learn and have a strong desire in the field. Most guys that come in and supposedly are "experienced" don't know shat (a=i). It really depends on what types of shops are in your area. in which I would just try to approach shop owners and this may sound cheesy, but negotiate a postion. Tell them your goals and show them the desire to learn.  Maybe offer to work for free a little to see if you fit into their business. I know I'll catch some crap for that, but its true. I have had 4 different guys interview to work for me and they all requested atleast $15 to start out and full benny's. Its not going to happen at first until you prove yourself. Some shops do require schooling, I personally have considered if I bring in another guy I may send him to some training courses after I see if he fits into my business. If there is one thing you get from this post it should be this, no matter what, do not go acting like your are the best installer ever when you tlak to these guys, it will quickly determine your fate...
adz1910 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

thanks guys, means alot to speak to professionals, and by no means would i think im the bees knees in this business, i have an amazing amount of respect for people with this kind of knowledge simply for the fact that i would love to be in their shoes. Tomorro i think i will write out some letters to the shops but also go in and really speak to them about what i would like to do. Theres a great custom car place round my way called Autosparx that specialize in everything custom and i would love to get into the audio/multimedia section of the business.

xtremej if you where to hire someone (and train them) what would you expect them to know to start out with?

thanks again guys

Adam

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  

If you want to learn about audio I recommend doing a lot of searching on this forum, reading the technical sections to the left, and also read all the information over at www.bcae1.com.  Although knowing all that information won't make you a good installer (experience is very important), it will definitely help.

I also recommend having a resume that stands out.  I think I put together a killer resume, and maybe some of the things I did could help you.  I have a decent sized resume because of the experience I have in the field.  It is best to keep the information included relevant to the job you are applying for, but if you don't have enough experience to fill a resume, then just put everything you can.  I went down to Staples and purchased some nice black folders with clear fronts so my cover letter can show through.  I then found a picture I took when I worked at Adire of a bunch of speaker parts and played with the image in Photoshop until it was washed out.  This I used it for my cover letter along with my name, address and phone number in bold dark blue letters over the top.  This shows through the folders cover to offer a very nice presentation.  At staples I also purchased some really nice translucent colored CD holders.  I burned a CD with images of some custom fabrication projects I've worked on and included the CD with my resume.  I think with the presentation and included CD it gave my resume an advantage over the standard stapled white sheets most shops are used to.  Sure it costs a little bit more, but it pays off in the long run. 

mjwood0 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2007 at 5:14 AM / IP Logged  
While not specific to the car audio industry, finding well written resumes is hard. Many people leave out important facts such as an Objective. While this might not matter much to some people, having a very good objective at the top of the resume lets the place know exactly what you are looking for. Along the same lines, I've seen resumes that didn't have names, addresses or phone numbers on them. Attractive resumes sit on desks. Bad ones go in the "file".
Also, don't forget to list any activities / hobbies that are even remotely relevant. Employers want to see well rounded people as it shows they have real world experience even if it's not in a related field.
People hire other people because they like them. Not always because they can do the job. More often than not, great people skills will make up for lack of experience.
Good luck! From what I've seen, it's a hard business to get into.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2007 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  

Basic knowledge, that way I can teach them what I feel is the proper way. We have a lot of guys fresh out of highschool that come in and think they know everything. These are the same guys that think audiobahn makes and awesome product. Don't get me wrong I don't subscribe to the theory that because i don't sell it, it sucks either. This is what I am currently looking for. I know other shop owners are looking for lots of expereince. Understand though I came from a coporate job where 90% of the people we interviewed for jobs lied their ass off on their resume and as soon as I would start to confirm things I would discover this. Some may have been great employees, but no-one wants a liar, my point is if you do a resume keep it accurate, but as stated by others, state you objectives and goals. Also understand I am a pr$ck to work for so when I get done with an interview I always ask do you still want a job? I expect anybody that works for me, to have the same desires in mind and if they don't they are not worth trying to change. The are others out their with a hell of a lot more experience in this field than me and some have already chimed in so don't bank on just my ideas or what I am looking for, take all info in general. Hope I helped, keep in mind I just got in and only a half a cup of java has been consumed.........all professional installers - Last Post -- posted image.

mjwood0 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2007 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
xtremej wrote:
Hope I helped, keep in mind I just got in and only a half a cup of java has been consumed.........all professional installers - Last Post -- posted image.
While I've been in for hours and multiple cups of Java have been consumed, Xtremej brings up a good point. Not only are you being interviewed for the position, you're interviewing the boss. Don't be afraid to ask questions of him too such as "How do you see my position within your outfit changing as I gain more experience?" or "How do you propose to help me learn: through on the job experience or through reading manuals."
If an interviewer is turned off by you asking questions of this nature, perhaps you don't want to work for them. It's important to make sure you're getting the type of job you want -- not a coffee fetching role where you can't advance.
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2007 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
I can't speak for the UK, but I can say that requirements here in the States are FAR stiffer than they used to be. Most places (at least the "Big Box" stores) won't hire you on without at LEAST some sort of formal training, or a couple of years in the industry.
15 years ago, when I was installing for a living, (and I've been in audio of some sort or another, whether selling, installing, or advising, since before you were born... all professional installers - Last Post -- posted image.)one could simply show a bit of electronics knowledge, and you'd be hired; that knowledge could be as little as understanding ohms, and that you connect the red wire to the positive battery post. Not so much anymore.
With all of the HIGHLY sensitive electronic circuits in cars today, it is vital that you know what you are doing, or you could cost the shop you work for a $2000 (£1000) ECU, or $1500 (£750) airbag reset, and that might be the end of your career, just by poking the wrong wire, or inadvertantly nicking the insulation on something you didn't mean to. While that is most likely a worst case senario, and far more likely to happen with a security install than a "deck and four" it CAN happen.
It won't be easy, but if you can find a place to work with little to no install history or knowledge, listen to everything they tell you, and thank your lucky stars you have found someplace willing to allow you the opportunity.
:::::EDIT::::: For my fellow Americans, "bespoke" is a british phrase for "custom".
If only this was really true. I left the big box retail game because all they do now is hire idiots. The shop I just left is filled with them. Their new sup. just blow the whole right side air bags of a brand new GTI. He was trying to do a low level converter. He went to the left rear speakers for the audio signal. Rather then verifying the speaker wire or even using a meter. He went to the main wire harness leading to the rear speakers. Tried to use a battery to pop the speaker. Well long story short. My old shop is buying new air bags for a new car. By the way a $100 profit just turned into a 4000 deficit for my old shop.
Cris

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic