the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

carbon fiber sub box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2007 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
no complaints here, look great from my house!
rtfm
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2007 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

Looks good, you should do a right up on the procedure/steps used to achieve this. I know I would read it, I have a custy wanting some carbon fiber kicks, pods and anything else he can get his parents to pay for..........

5.7mopar 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2007 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't mind doing a write up. I'm by no means a pro like some of the guys on here though. So I'm sure there's some pointers and tips they could add. Next time I do some carbon fiber work I'll take plenty of build pics and do a write up.
clasifiler 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2007 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
the smoothness you got in the final product, is that strictly resin/epoxy or was there some sanding and clearcoating as well?
5.7mopar 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2007 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
There is a TON of sanding involved with this type project. I started with 3 coats of clear poly resin. Next I wet sanded my way up from 240, 300, 400, 600, and 800 grit sand paper. In a nutshell, you use the lower grit paper to smooth out the surface and remove any waves or imperfections. Then from 400+ you are removing the scratches left from the lower grits. Once the surface is even and scratch free I polished it with a buffer and some 3m rubbing compound. Then 3 coats of clear coat, wet sanding with 1500 grit in between.
clasifiler 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2007 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
carbon fiber sub box - Page 2 -- posted image.     Oh trust me, I know all about it. The hardest part of cabon work (Non-Vacuum bag) is the finishing. This was an over head display for a Dodge Ram I re-did to house some Type-R tweeters, looks decent enough but this was before the clear and lots of wet sanding. For your first one I would say you got it though...Nice job.
drift_cefiro 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2007 at 4:18 AM / IP Logged  
yeah looks great would really be interested in see the write up have some projects of mine own that would look awesome done in carbon
i dream of angels but live with demons
pmendoza408 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2007 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
man that looks really clean. How did you get it to look so perfect. you cant see imperfections.
jl.w7 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2007 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
Very very nice and clean. Want to try and do that myself. where do you get carbon fibre?
MECP Certified
(2)Infinity 3.5" 3012CF
(2)Infinity 6x9 9612I
(1)Sony CDXGT710
(2)MTX TC510 and,
A load of dynamat!
1982 Chevy Cavalier
mrbubbles00482 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2007 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
Very very nice man. I love how carbon fiber looks, great sub box design.
Good job.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic