icon

three amp system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slatham 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I'm getting ready to install a three amp system. (kicker ZX1500.1, kicker ZX750.1, Kicker 350.4) The 1500 and 750 are monos and the 350 is 4 channel. I am going to upgrade my alternator and i was wondering what size power and ground cable you would recommend. Also, I am really unsure about how to wire everything to my battery as far as like Fuse distribution blocks and Power and ground cable distribution blocks and fuse holders. If someone could explain what i should do or direct me to a diagram that could show me how to do something like this it would be very helpful.
mjwood0 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 5:08 AM / IP Logged  
Current = Watts / Volts
Since amps are all around 12 volts and you're running a total of 2600 Watts, you're looking at the following:
Current = 2600 W / 12 V = About 220 A
2 gauge wire goes up to 225 A
1/0 gauge wire goes up to 350 A
These can be found here on 12volt.
Personally, I'd run the 1/0 as well as upgrading the big 3 and your alternator. Also, when you run off the battery you'll want to make sure to fuse it properly.
The same calculations can be done for each individual amp to determine what gauge wire to run from the distribution block to the amps (again, fusing if applicable).
Might want to run your wiring by the people here once you think you have it figured out just to be sure. You're talking a decent amount of current so this can get dangerous if not done correctly.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
My question is this: "Why two mono amplifiers?"
It's rhetorical, (meaning you don't have to answer if you don't want) but you DO have me scratchin'.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

mjwood0 wrote:
Current = Watts / Volts
Since amps are all around 12 volts and you're running a total of 2600 Watts, you're looking at the following:
Current = 2600 W / 12 V = About 220 A .

This assumes the amplifier is 100% efficient, which none are.  The typical class A/B amplifier is about 60% efficient and the typical class D is about 75%.  This means you must factor in the efficiency when doing this sort of estimate.  Your 220 amps should be divided by the efficiency of the amp: 220 / 0.75 for a class D = potential max current draw of 293.3 amps.

Support the12volt.com
mjwood0 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
Fair enough. Hence my recommendation of going with the 1/0.
This also assumes that the vehicle is even capable of sustaining such current draws.
I'm tempted to say (as nicely as possible) that if you're scratching your head with what gauge wire to use, you may want to consult a professional installer. This amount of current, if not properly wired, has the potential to do some serious damage...
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
I too am wonder who two mono amps of differing powers??
slatham 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Mjwood and DYohn for the help. I am using two different mono amps because i am running the 1500 to two kicker l7 12s and the 750 to two kicker cvr 12s. Is that a bad idea or something?

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
AFAIAC, it's a waste of current, and therefore, power. Either use one or the other... You'll gain VERY little, either in SPL or sound quality, doing what you've got drawn up.
Which are you aiming for? SPL or SQ?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
slatham 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2007 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
Ok well here's what I'm lookin for. I want something with good sound quality buy i would like the decibels to be in the 140s. What would you reccommend.?
haemphyst 
Posted: July 30, 2007 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  
ANY decent setup, with a pair of very good 12's (say JL W7's, or TC 3000's, but you'd have to wait for TC's, for now) with around 750 to 1000 watts each (more would be better, and both the JL's and TC's will take, and do LIKE more, as well...) would get you fairly easily there. To get that loud WITH sound quality WILL be expensive, don't even think about second-guessing that. You haven't even mentioned the woofers you are using, or are considering using.
::::EDIT:::: Never mind - saw it, now. Kickers AREN'T sound quality woofers, at all. Especially not the L7. Loud? Indeed. Quality? Hardly. Far from it, AFAIAC. I can't speak to the CVR's, honestly, as I have never heard them.
slatham wrote:
I am using two different mono amps because i am running the 1500 to two kicker l7 12s and the 750 to two kicker cvr 12s. Is that a bad idea or something?
Also, running two different types of woofers, with two different power levels, can ONLY cause problems, especially if looking for anything even REMOTELY considered to be a "sound quality" system.
If you say that you are interested in sound QUALITY, yet you have said nothing about making sure that your highs will be able to do the same thing. What are you doing to address the output of the REST of your system?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic