icon

sony xplod wiring issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
addkid 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  
Alright, Thanks in advance for the help, if any is submitted.
I have a Sony Xplod CD - AM/FM CD player. I've wired the speakers, positive and negative, and the ignition power switch. CD Player works fine and wonderfully. My problem is, when I wired it. I never purchased the harness, My rear driving lights & dash lights haven't worked since then, and that was over 4 months ago. My car is a ...
Make: Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
Year: 1991
If you need any more information, don't hesitate to email me. I check my email frequently. I need this help asap! I have till August 1st to get it fixed or the local police and my mom are taking my car away. I'll have to walk to school, if I get pulled over within that time frame and they're not working, it's a $1,500 fine, for the dash lights, and rear driving lights.
Thanks again, I appreciate it. If you can make it to where an idiot understands it, then I'm sure I'll get it. I'm not a verbal guy, diagrams and pictures are the best way to get through to me..
mjwood0 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 5:01 AM / IP Logged  
I'd start with the basics first. Double check to ensure you didn't blow a fuse during the installation.
Also, did you cut the wire to the ignition power switch when you wired it up? Or did you use the existing wire (that went to the old stereo)?
I'm sure we can help you, but it may take a few iterations to figure out exactly what's been done.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,669
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  

The wire you used for ground is not a ground it is the illumination wire.    According to your meter it looked just like a ground, but when you turn your lights on it then becomes a 12 volt wire to power the light bulbs inside your factory radio.   You did blow a fuse but you must cut the ground wire of you r radio off of the grey wire of your car and connect it to the black wire of your car.  It has been so long i can't remember what the fuse is labeled. 

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
And thus, the constant recommendation of a "wiring harness".
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
addkid 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
And thus, the constant recommendation of a "wiring harness".
I should've taken the guys advice. But $40 for a harness seemed a bit rediculous to me. If I could get one now, it'd be insane, and I'd totally put the money into getting one.
I was sent this diagram from another website, I can't quite remember it now. But it told me the match ups, color to color of my Sony Xplod to my Car's wire coloring.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
$40 bucks, holy doodie. Those are like 9 bucks here, man I gotta raise my prices. When hard wiring if its necessary always verify before connecting, with a meter and a "speaker popper".
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,669
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to mention a new harness for your next vehicle.  I failed to mention it because I KNEW it was a little too late.
addkid 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Holy god 12volt. That's going to take me awhile to read. My next set of wheels won't have a CD Player. I'm going to be buying a Hayabusa..
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2007 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
addkid wrote:
Holy god 12volt. That's going to take me awhile to read. My next set of wheels won't have a CD Player. I'm going to be buying a Hayabusa..
Good luck with that... Can I suggest the new B-King, instead? sony xplod wiring issue -- posted image. 2G cheaper, and WAY more comfortable!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic