icon

css 100 for 2003 cavalier with 5 speed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smithge 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2007 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  

Well I noticed quite a bit of the same questions about this unit.  Even someone had a 2004 Cavalier.  I hope he got the thing working!  My engine is a 2.2L.

I likewise have given up on the VSS and found the white wire for the Tach.  I removed the jumper and set for 4000 with TACH Only setting.  I have tried LOW, MEDIUM,and HIGH sensitivity.  Control Switch is set for NORMALLY OPEN.  I have tried ECM and COIL. 

I seem to have strong vacuum (did not guage it but lots of suction).  I checked to make sure 12V was always on the red,  that the Brown had 12V (momentarily when ON was depressed), the purple is getting 12V when the brake is pushed.  I even saw a rise in voltage on the blue wire when the engine RPM was increased.  Granted it was not much as I just switched my cheap analog meter to AC to make sure there was a signal...but nothing seems to work!

Do these things have a high OUT OF THE BOX FAILURE RATE?  What settings would you recommend?  Does this engine need a VACUUM boost?

SmithGE
ranger svo 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2007 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

Actually they have a pretty low failure rate. I would still use the VSS wire. Its much more reliable. The computer should have two plugs on it. One is hard to reach (not the one) and the other is right there and easy to get to. Unplug it. Take the top of and locate the GREEN / WHITE wire (I know there are a lot of them) that has a BROWN / white wire in the pin right next to it, thats the right one.

Also double check all other connections.

The moving power of mathematical invention is not reasoning but imagination.
Augustus de Morgan
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2007 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
The cruise is not likely to blame, rather the install. The VSS wire is available in a few locations. The easiest is at the bottom side of the large connector next to the driver's side shock/strut tower. You may wish to remove the air box to get to it. The wire is a dark GREEN / WHITE and is only on the bottom of the plug near the corner that is closest to the drivers front corner. The wire dead ends there. Purchase a factory brake switch, part # 22620888 and install it in the existing hole in the clutch pedal bracket. Connect one side of the switch to the violet wire of the cruise and the other side to the white wire on the brake switch. Set your cruise dip switches for medium sensitivity, 4000 PPM, 4 cylinder low engine timer, square wave, automatic trans (you are using a switch on clutch to be safe) and either closed or open cruise switch ( depends on what switch you are using). The vacuum is available from the front of the motor directly below the throttle assembly. There are two ports capped, either of which you can use. If you need to change any dip switches, make sure that both the lever is off and the ignition is off. Use a ohm meter to measure the resistance to ground on the violet wire. It must be less than 5 ohms. It makes no difference if your violet wire shows 12 volts when you press the brake, but it must have ground at rest to allow the cruise to work. Do a complete electrical check. The red wire is battery power (switched on/off through the cruise on/off switch) The brown wire is ignition. Make sure you have a good ground. You mentioned you had momentary power on the brown. You should have ignition power and not momentary. This set up (auto trans.) works better. There is no need to use the tach wire, just the VSS. The cruise works smoother and when you add the GM switch onto the clutch, this will disengage the cruise when you press the clutch pedal.
sparky
smithge 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2007 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

I should clarify.  I first was using the VSS (Green and White to Grey) & TACH (White to Blue).  DP1 and DP3 were ON with all others OFF.  Nothing happened!  The LED on the control switch does not even light when I press ON. 

I will recheck my connections (next weekend) as I hope it is just an install problem.

Have either of you set this up with a manual transmission by removing the jumper?  Are you suggesting that I take the VSS to to the Blue and fool the system into thinking this is a TACH signal?

SmithGE
smithge 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2007 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

Sparky,

I appreciate your comments. I will try this out next weekend.  When you say the brown wire is "ignition" do you mean that the power is only available when the engine is running or with the switch in accessory mode?

Why would the TACH be a less reliable source? 

SmithGE
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2007 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
The cruise control unit works best if you limit the variables it works with. If the cruise only has to vary the speed with changes in the VSS and not both the VSS and tach together, it won't have to constantly vary the throttle to meet changes in both. The reason I prefer to only use a VSS circuit and not the tach is that many cars will give periodic spikes on the tach circuit which the cruise will interprut as an increase in engine speed and cut out or surge. I prefer to have a cruise work so smooth you aren't aware that is working. By adding a switch on the clutch as I described and only hooking the gray wire to the VSS, the car will behave like an auto trans. The brown wire to the cruise control should have 12 volts on it when the engine is running. Hook it to the thick pink wire in the ignition harness off the ignition cylinder. You also need to make sure which type of cruise lever you are using, whether it is open or closed. The cruise won't work it isn't right. In my set-up only dip 1 and 3 are on. There is nothing wrong with doing it you're way.   Try it and only think about changing it once you see how well it works. I have been doing cruises for more years than most of the members have been alive, so I do them with a little more of a custom method.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic