2003 cavalier keyless entry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tomj1404 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2007 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

I found the following note in the diagram for an '03 cavalier:

"3 The GREEN/ black is located in the lower drivers kick panel. It catches the drivers door only. The light blue is located in the lower passenger kick panel, and catches the passenger door(s). Tap both wires and diode isolate each. Also found at BCM"

Is this just for an alarm or does this apply to a system with keyless entry only? I'm installing a keyless entry (no alarm) on my cavalier, do I need to do this diode isolate step? If so, can someone please give me a little bit of detail about how to do this?

b2reptile 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2007 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

You will not have to diode isolate.  These are your door pin wires, used to turn on your dome light or trigger an alarm system when either door is opened. 

You should not need these wires, unless you want the keyless entry to turn on your domelight when you unlock your doors.(domelight supervision) If so, you only need to ground one of the wires to turn on the domelight.

tomj1404 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2007 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Does it matter whether I hook up the keyless in the passenger or driver side door? Also, my car has a button inside the car to release the trunk. Does anyone know how I could hook up my system to open the trunk from the remote?
swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2007 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
doesnt really matter which side but you can get many other wires in the drivers kick. parklights, brake, locks, etc. the just hook up your neg trunk output to the wire at the swictch that goes to ground whun u push the button
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
swerks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2007 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
you do need to diode isolate thes wires
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
tomj1404 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2007 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

I've never installed a keyless entry system before. Should I try this myself?  I found this chart saying that I could find the right wires on the BCM:

Alarm and Keyless Entry Wiring Colors and Notes
FunctionVehicle ColorLocation
Constant +12 Volts:REDIGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
OEM Alarm Disarm:DISARMS WHEN VEHICLE ISSTARTED EITHER BY THE KEY OR REMOTELY
OEM Horn:BLACK (-)BCM brown plug
Power Lock:LT. BLUEBCM purple plug
Power Unlock:WHITEBCM purple plug
Trunk Release:BLACK/ WHITE (+)BCM blue plug
Alarm Input Wire:White (-)BCM brown plug

How do I hook up the trunk release wire at the BCM? Do I just tap into it with the corresponding wire from my keyless unit? Is there any chance of damaging the BCM?

swerks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
you will need to use a relay to convert the trunk release trigger from - to+
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

maybe this will help you: http://64.85.6.118/diagrams/diagrams.asp

That gives a list of wire colors and pictures of where some wires are.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 01, 2007 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
If you're a do-it-yourselfer, installing a keyless-only unit is a good place to start. It's a lot simpler than an alarm or remote starter.
You MUST test all the wires in the car that you connect to. There is a lot of debate on this website as to whether an ordinary test light is acceptable, or whether you should use a digital multimeter.........but again, you MUST test the wires in some way or another.
Don't rely on any wiring diagram, or any wire colors that we tell you here. Use that information only as a guide.
As to your questions/concerns:
--No need to go inside the door for anything. In the driver's kick panel (the area to the left of your left foot, behind the carpet/panel), you should be able to find the bundle of wires that comes in from the driver's door----the lock/unlock wires will be in here.
--The trunk relase at the dashboard switch is already a low-current, negative-trigger wire. After you TEST this, of course, just connect the trunk-release output from your keyless unit, directly to the wire at the switch.
--Under the driver's dash, above where your left toes would be, you'll see a thick, heavy wire bundle running through the firewall, out under the hood. In there you can find constant, ignition, and I think parking lights and horn------this is much better/easier than trying to take apart the steering column. (The tilt-steering lever is easy to scratch/break.)
--The two door trigger wires, the GREEN/ black and the light blue................these are the wires from the car's doorpin switches, and are used to turn on the domelight.
You would also use these wires to trigger an alarm system, so the alarm knows when someone breaks into the car. Not necessary in your case.
If your keyhless unit has a "domelight supervision" output or something similar, you could connect it to the GREEN/ black (no relay required), and it will turn on the interior light for you when you unlock the car.
This is partially so you can see if there are any bad guys hiding in the car, but also, the light stays on for a short time even after you close the door, so you can put down your coffee, find your keys, and stuff like that.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2007 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
you need to use a relay for the trunk release since that wire is a positive polarity but your trunk release channel is a negative output.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic