icon

twist or tape harnesses

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2007 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Thats where charging a reasonable price comes in.  Im pretty sure that having a stealth type of install is what makes a professional.  I totally understand where supply comes in but then again a customer that knows your installs are "stealth",  wouldn't mind the extra charge for supplies.  Then again a good sales rep would sell the cleanliness of an install and show that it just doesnt matter that it works but also the cleaness of it.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
True "stealth" is hard to do.... I don't care how good you are, and everyone knows this. enice hit it, if your gonna make the alarm and remote start "disappear" under the dash, you DO need to get a few more dollars. It's the old saying......time is money!
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
Don't you guys charge customers shop fees. From what I've seen in 4 years of installing around my area every shop usually charges $4-$5 on every car for "shop fee". And this fee can mean a lot of things but I've always assumed it means materials. I know that on most cars you aren't installing $4 dollars worth of materials.
swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
most shops charge for supplies i dont but i charge enough to cover them
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Twisting is silly. Manufacturers only do it on speaker and can wire to cut interferance! Nuff said. What does PITA mean its a new one on me?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

I disagree Howie, if I was going to choose one or the other, I would definately go with twisting over taping, simply for the fact that taping takes a minute or two, and twisting takes 10 seconds (and requires no tape, so no added costs).

Having the wires  twisted makes running them easier, and leaves a better looking install, as all the added wires will be grouped.

I've never owned my own shop nor had to worry about added costs, but I always did the best install I could for the customer.  This is one advantage to working for a 'big box' store that pays by the hours, and has basically unlimited resources.

The bottom line, in my book, is that no matter how much the customer paid, they paid for a PROFESSIONAL installation.  Professionals don't cut corners, especially just to save a few pennies per installation.  If a shop's labor rate isn't enough to cover a professional installation then they  need to adjust their rates/fees.

Kevin Pierson
frans-c 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
Uhm, please enlighten me...what's twisting?
F R A N S
1985 Mercedes-Benz 230E
320 000 km / 199 000 miles
Full MB Service History
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
Twisting the wires together  with a drill, so they are pretty.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
KP is right but we have to "stealth" and conceal everything in UK, ONLY soldered joints except grounds when we often go back to bare metal and water resist sprays, mastic sealent over grommetts etc, convoluted tubing under hood more water resist on hood switches and rear of DEI Sirens, IP65 connectors when possible etc! Alarm CPU gets metal casing and MUST BE screwed or cable tied in place!
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
The way I do it is twist and tape to make the stealth look.  It does take time but at the end if done right you have a very very clean install.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic