icon

remote start and headlights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joshmcdowall 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2007 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  

hi.. i have just purchashed a remote start system for my car and it is now installed.. my headlights work independantly, not by the ignition.. eg. i can turn key off  take the key out and the headlights still work if the the headlight switch is still on. what im trying to achieve is i when i turn the ignition off, the headlights still stay on if the headlight switch is still on.. so i can leave the headlight switch on, turn the car off with the key and the lights go on, then when i remote start the car the headlights turn on, if ive left the switch on,..  is it possible to do this?

sorry, im not very good at explaining things..

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2007 at 3:02 AM / IP Logged  
The remote start what make ? should have to conformable outputs or aux, one can be used via a relay if rquired, what car? to turn on with RS and run headlights, another (depending on alarm make) could be configured to turn on when either alarm is swtched on or off and then set timed.
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2007 at 4:24 AM / IP Logged  
if im not mistaken from what you have posted is that you want your headlights to turn on after you take out the key and turn off as soon as your arm the vehicle(or lock) with the remote control.  Seems like you also want to have the headlights turn on when you remote start the vehicle....am I correct?  If you so can have your installer connect the domelight supervision wire to the headlights via relay  and also diode isolate the ground while running wire directly to the headlight wire.  Given the alarm that you may have it may also turn on the lights after you take out the key from the key cylinder.  This answer that im giving a general answer that can be applied to most remote start systems.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 31, 2007 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
What kind a car is it?
joshmcdowall 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2007 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  

oh sorry, my vehicle is a holden rodeo tf 1988 single cab ute.. i think in other countries it is a isuzu rodeo pickup 1988? ok, forget the remote start... my headlights are hooked up with constant wires.. so even if the ignition key is turned off, the lights still stay on if the lightswitch is still on.. i want to change the headlights so they run of accessory instead of constant.. i found 2 wires which were 12v constant running to the headlight switches, so i cut those 2 wires and joined an accessory wire to them both.. but when i turned the car on the wires started smoking,  how can i do this?

my alarm is a omega max-e but i think thats irrelevant now..

sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2007 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
At this point, you should take the truck to a shop and or mechanic to see what damage has been done.
joshmcdowall 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2007 at 3:48 AM / IP Logged  
yeh its all good.. no damage done, anyone know what i did wrong why it started smoking? all i did was join an accessory wire in place of the constant 12v wires.
altytruck 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2007 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
could be that when one of the wires goes to ground when the switch is turned to the accessory position.......

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic