the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

sq amp selection

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jurb 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2007 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
Briefly: 2 TC-1000 15" in a sealed enclosure. I want this to be a pure sq setup and now I am looking for an amp. I've browsed the forum and seen that audiobahn gets crapped on while mtx and others get a lot of praise. I am wondering why this is...audiobahn has comparable SNR, and a 24dB/oct roll off versus others that have 12. Don't you always want the highest roll off possible? Any advice on amps or how to select for sq would be greatly appreciated. On another note, do you guys advise using polyfil? If so where do you buy it?
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2007 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

SQ=money!

and if true power is usally a $ a watt...you do the math for audibahn.

try JL, focal, and eclipse. if you want to be real serious about SQ try and find amps that are A/B class for your subs. but bring your wallet for a good one!

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
jurb 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2007 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
Anybody know anything about the Kenwood KAC-X1R?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2007 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
Numbers don't tell the whole story. S/N can be the same, but the amps will sound completely different.
This is due to several differences:
IMD, or intermodulation distortion, a spec RARELY supplied, and determines how badly a fundamental is damaged when a second fundamental (or even a harmonic) is introduced to the same signal path.
Damping, or how well the amplifier damps (or shorts) the back-EMF generated by the voice coil.
THD. Frequency response, linearity...
Power supply capacity, a crappy power supply will not be able to keep up with the current demand, and this can be audible. (I might add that the power supply is ususally (or at least SHOULD be) the most expensive part of an amp. jville hit on it... SQ=MONEY!
Slew rate, or how fast the amplifer's devices can turn on or off.
There are other specifications that will come into play as well, but numbers (especially JUST S/N) will not tell the whole story.
Oh...! And chrome (and flame facsimiles) is (are) ALWAYS damaging to an audio signal, this is why you should NEVER allow chrome, flames, and ESPECIALLY chrome flames near an amplifier... This includes speaker baskets, rims, bumpers, rear-view mirrors, etc...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2007 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Dave, how  about the Alpine PDX-1.1000? It seems to meet all those criteria? Cough, cough......
There is no such thing as free installation!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2007 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
tcss wrote:
Dave, how  about the Alpine PDX-1.1000? It seems to meet all those criteria? Cough, cough......
LOL
Yep, it meets them all quite nicely!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jurb 
Posted: August 02, 2007 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  

So since a lot of those things are not generally listed, how can I find out about them?  I can't really affor more than $300, so I was thinking about the KAC-X1R which seems to be Kenwood's version of the PDX, what do you guys think of that amp?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic