icon

trailer brake control

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
peppy 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2007 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
 I have a brake control for a trailer & I am looking to wire it up on a 2006 Trail Blaizer. Anybody out there have any experience with this? Any info you can give will help. Thanks
eurobink 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2007 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
basic.. power and ground, and then the brake switch.. check the12volt schematics.. run power to battery...ground anywhere.. and i forget the brake wire color.. its at the switch above the brake pedal
f150fan 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2007 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Like eurobink said pretty simple. Power (typically black on the controller) goes straight to the battery. I recommend using a 20amp auto resettable circuit breaker on this wire and I typically run 12guage.
Ground (typically white) goes to ground. You will want a pretty good ground source. Either scrape paint away and ground in the kick or go to the battery. I typically use 12guage on this wire as well.
Brake input (typically red) goes to the brake switch. On your vehicle it is a white wire on the switch above the brake pedal. It will test positive when you hit the brakes. If I remember right it is the only white wire in that plug but you will want to test the wire with a DMM.
Brake output (typically blue) runs back to the trailer plug on the back of the vehicle. You will want to use 12guage wire on this as well.
Drawtite makes a kit that has all the wiring you need and the circuit breaker as well as all the ring terminals as well. I think the part number is 5505.
You may also want to get some gm sidepost adapters for the battery. It will make hooking the power and ground up a lot easier. What they do is replace the bolt going into the battery with a double sided stud so that you can place your ring terminals over them and tighten down with a nut. Without these and can be a little difficult to hook to a sidepost battery and it is really easy to strip the bolt going into the battery by trying to force a ring terminal in.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2007 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

under the dash under panel (drivers side). tied or taped to the harness running above the left kickpanel area, there should be four wire pigtails. two thick...orange and dark blue, two thin...white and light blue??   orange is +12 volts battery, thick blue is output to trailer connector (for electric brake controller), light blue is brake pedal switch, white is ground.  these are the factory connections for an electric brake controller.  double check my colors please though.

hope this helps,

mark

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic