icon

separate battery for lighting system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nervra 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2007 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1988 Yamaha YSR 50, and want to install new custom headlights and tail light. The problem is the motorcycle runs at 6 volts, and my new lights are 12 volts. In order to do what I want to do, I have been told that I need to run a Total Loss Battery System with a 12 volt battery. I have very little electrical knowledge, and I have put together a very basic diagram. Please give me some advice or concerns on my diagram. Also, tell me if I am missing any important components.
Thanks!
separate battery for lighting system - Last Post -- posted image.
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
Looks good, by total loss I'm guessing you mean that you need to charge it separately as the 6-volt system will not charge 12v...
Also, I don't know what kind of lights you are actually using but be sure the switches will handle the current draw of the lights otherwise consider using some relays to handle the current draw.
hotmilk400 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
talking about relays, make sure there are no relays on the 12 volt line, or you will destroy them.  make sure that the line only goes to the lights, and doesnt run anything else.  the power can safely go thought the relays, but make sure they dont have to power the relays (or u will need new ones)
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure I understand your response... No relays on the 12 volt line?
hotmilk400 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

if you have a 12 volt line, make sure you dont place any relays on that line that are 6 volts.   like, dont use your stock turning sigal relay unless it is powerd by the 6 volt line.  if you add the 12 volt battery to the system for the signals, make sure the 12 volts doesnt touch the relay.  in other words, only replace the line that is going right to your light bulbs, dont repalce the line that powers the relays (that i guess would be switched on your handel bars, or in the center base of your cylce)    if u are replacing the switchs and relays, dont even worrie about it.  if your stock system is just getting anouther battery, make sure that the power going to the relay's (to power them)  is on a 6 volt line.  

sorry i cant explain this better, if u dont understand, think of a relay like a 3 way switch.  
o < :
the o is your common 
the top dot is your NC
the bottem dot is your NO
this is ok for the 12 volt line to run into
the part that powers the relay to make it work must be 6 volts if it is your stock relay
if u got all new relays, it doesnt matter

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic