Alternator Help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
IronCy 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2003 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hey All,

I recently purchased and installed a 200a ohio generator alternator. I have noticed that that my voltage indicator drops when the truck is at idle -even more if the lights and stereo is on, but rises and steadies once I get the rpm's back up-no matter whats on in the truck.  The factory 130a alternator seemed to have no drops under the same circumstances.  Guys at my shop suggested a smaller pulley on the alternator, so it will provide more charge at a lower rpm, anyone else have any suggestions or comments as to what else can be done.  I just payed 500 bucks for this and dont feel i should have to alter it.  Thanks for your help.

-Cy

Watt 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2003 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  

Check the belt first This little booger going to pull on the engine hard.

Second the pulley is the right thing to do. I would also look at the specs sheet on this unit. See when it peaks RPM.

IronCy 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2003 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  

just spoke with someone at ohio generator, states that they cannot make any other changes to the alternator.  He says that is the trade off, lower voltages at idle, but higher power at the middle to high end.  He suggested that I add another battery, which will be added as soon as I add the final amp.  Everything seems fine once I hit the 1500RPM mark, but my truck idles at about 800RPM.  Is this guy just totally bullsh*ttin me?  I guees i will need to keep it either way, my system will need it---can the voltage changes cause any damage to the vehicle?

-Cy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic