dynaudio 360 vs focal ployglass 165

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lincoln2002lse 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2007 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

Ok so maybe I am being picky but, the lows in the front stage are not there,, I think my basic problem is the 165v2 just do not handle the freqs I need. Back is sounding really good with the 2 JL 10W6's in a sealed box (1000/1), in combination with the rest of the speakers in the back dash and back doors but blending aint happenin. The system is tri-amped and have been tweeking for days,,, ok ,, weeks now trying to get the sound I am after,,,, you know the goose bumps we all crave,,,,If I go with the Dynaudio 360 8" woofer in the door am I right in ASSUMING I will get into the lower freq's to get a mesh??? Or is there another top dog mfg (yea I know of morel) that will step in here,  so wife does not kill me over a few spent ben's. All bass and lows are behind me and popping the 165's has been heard, and backed away from.

Too much invested to stop now hunny, I just need one more set of speakersdynaudio 360 vs focal ployglass 165 - Last Post -- posted image.

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2007 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

I have nothing but praise for those Dyn's, the Focal's on the other hand, so-so (just not a personal favorite). I think with some what general speak, the Dyn's are notorious for having a warm mid range as well as strong mid bass, that always seems to blend with a proper sub stage. In fact I favor the Dyn's so much that they were on my list but cut short due to price and most importantly, I didn't have the space.

One thing you may consider, is comparing a two way system with hard dome tweets to a three way system may not necessarily be fair, but hey, those Dyn's are killer!  

Do you plan on using the passive x-overs or going active?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2007 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
Ah, that ever-elusive mid-bass band... And I know mid-bass! dynaudio 360 vs focal ployglass 165 - Last Post -- posted image.
I'd too, highly recommend the Dynaudio... Focal is a bit over-rated for my taste, and I've always LOVED the Dyn stuff...
You said "popping"... What's your crossover set for? Of you are going too low with them, or if your slope is too shallow, sure, you'll get popping. What's your present driver complement, and installation (placement, especially) diagram?
What kind of crossover do you have? What are the possible frequencies, and/or what's the slope(s) on it? Fill me in a bit, let me see if I can make some suggestions! dynaudio 360 vs focal ployglass 165 - Last Post -- posted image. I went 65Hz with my Adire 6's, and I have mid-bass for DAYS; the subs blend flawlessly, as well! Now, I will admit that my slopes are 48dB, and very few external crossovers, let ALONE amplifiers, offer a slope THAT steep, but I'm betting we can do something for you!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
lincoln2002lse 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2007 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  

Wooo hoooo, you opened it,,, so,,,welcome to pandoras box.

Thanks for the reply and offer to help check into this issue.

HU is Eclipse AVX5000, with the DCU105, pretty good combo (Co. support is crap though) lots of ways to alter sound and field though. Amps are 3, JL's, 300/4 for tweets (A- pillers and B-pillers) Focal A pillers, Memphis B pillers ( B's are turned way down low so there is balance and the stuff is not screeching in your ears, just a hint of highs) 450/4 front mains Focal 165v2 in the door OEM location, back mains MB quartz 216 in the back door OEM location and Focal 6x9 back dash OEM location for lol, subs,, NOT!!! Car is 2002 Lincoln LS"E" yes this is factory "LSE". Subs are as I said earlier 2 JL10w6 v2 (2007) pushed by 1-1000/1, HO alt (200amp) and I also have a HO battery to help out a bit just to the 1000/1.

Been all over the place with the DCU105 adjustments, crossovers, time delay, parabolic / parametric,,, blah, blah, blah, 4 channel, Pro-logic 2, music , movie etc..., OFF, and so on. I even pulled the passive crossovers on the 165's out for awhile and went active, thought it better to put them back in before I toasted them they may not be "great" but for 500 a set I 'll back off before I just blowem and slide them in to the back doors when I get my hands on the 360's. MB Q's will either find a new owner or file 13 is where they will go. Center speaker is the cute little clarion 1/2 din with the OEM speakers hooked into the circuit,, just had to see how it sounded,,, ya know,, I left them hooked up, when the system  fires up the center set comes on first and kinda gives a warm up for when the rest of the system comes to life,, (sure that will not win any awards though).  I think with a little mod I will be able to slide the 360 mids into the 2" speaker location Lincoln whimped out on,,, who knows I'll have to figure that out when,,,,,

The thing that really gripes me is,,,, try finding the memory stick combo that Eclipse built this system on 128mb MAX, I cant find them local, and refuse to order them and therefore can not use the iserve "service" ,,, (like Eclipse knows what that 5 letter word is) just to have them tell me to do somthing I already have.

Just as an end note "You do NOT have to buy the seperate unit to play your ipod or even puter", just use the 20pin connector with the rca jacks for the VTR  channels,,,so Eclipse isn't getting that 100 or so bucks. Am just about ready to go buy a set of Klipsch to rip out the 6.5's and slide them in the front doorsdynaudio 360 vs focal ployglass 165 - Last Post -- posted image.

If you know this equipment and can still offer any settings or changes please let me know.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic