icon

building subwoofer box placement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blownsierra 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2007 at 5:57 AM / IP Logged  
I know that the forward / rear facing subwoofer argument has been debated many times, but I'm building a box to fit my friends '06 Mercedes Benz C230 and the shape of it will not allow for it to be rotated 180* once created. That being said, my question is: Does anyone have any helpful information or suggestions on which side of the box to mount the subwoofer for optimal appearing spl up front? The box will be in the trunk right up against the back seat or maybe a little bit off, if the speaker is on the forward side it will have ~1" of free space from the seatback. I would like to mount the subwoofer on the forward side for aesthetic purposes to make the install look as clean as possible, but dont want it to sound quieter than the 10" that we took out. (I would try flipping that around to see what works best for this car, but it is now a paperweight).
TIA
draggindakota 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

It all depends on the vehicle. Your best bet is finding another sub & enclosure to play around with different firings with.

slange22 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Don't expect to hit the db drags with a sub in the trunk, but....If it were mine I would corner load the woofer. Each wall the sub can reflect off, there is a potential 3db gain. So, in a corner, you can gain 9db. After the sub is in, of corse you can experiment with exact location and phasing of the sub.
Don't under estimate the knowledge of an ol' man

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic