mids stopped playing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdog0411 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2007 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all,

I have an issue that I can't figure out and was hoping maybe someone out there can. My system isn't that complex, and consists of an Alpine CDA-9885 headunit, a set of JL Audio components in the doors (one tweeter and one midrange in each door), with the crossovers that came with the components, along with a JL 300/4 amp that is bridged so each door is getting 150 watts RMS. i have a JL 250/1 amp powering a single sealed Infiniti Perfect 12 sub in the trunk.

Up until two days ago, the system was running perfectly and sounded excellent for my needs. I was driving home late Wednesday night, and I did have the volume up pretty loud, although nothing excessive. All of  a sudden my mids just completely stopped working and the only sound coming from the system was through the tweeters and the sub. The amps show a green light with no protect mode, and the head unit fires up as it always has. Nothing seems to be amiss except the mids have no output. The fact that the tweets are getting sound and the mids are not puzzles me because each channel is bridged on the amp, with a single pair of wires for each component set. So I don't think the problem can be at the amp or else there would be no sound at all.

So, I went to the trunk to check the crossovers. Apparently one crossover had shifted it's position so I though maybe a wire had been pulled free. But I have checked both crossovers and all the wiring and all the connections appear to be solid. there are no loose wires anywhere. So I am at a loss to figure out what happened. I still think it has something to do with the crossovers. Or possibly the headunit, but I wouldn't know what to look for.

Any ideas? I'd hate to have to take it to a stereo shop and pay to have someone diagnose the issue when it is probably something simple.

Thanks in advance.

2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 10, 2007 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

Highly unlikely a problem with the head unit.  Sounds like a bad crossover or blown drivers.

jdog0411 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2007 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Would both crossovers go bad at the same time? And the crossovers are still supplying sound to the tweeters. There is one crossover for each side, and both mid ranges are out. If the speakers blew, it would be unlikely that both would simultaneously blow, and then the sound would be garbage, but there would still be sound right?
2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 10, 2007 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Depends on how they are blown.  Yes a blown speaker usually sounds like garbage, but if they suffer from an open voice coil they will not play at all. 
jdog0411 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

Any good way for me isolate the problem?

2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
Disconnect the mid wires from the crossover. Get a AA battery and touch and hold the positive wire to the positive terminal of the battery, then touch the negative wire to the negative terminal of the battery. You should hear the speaker pop if it is OK.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic