icon

front components biamped gain

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone, I am biamping a set of polk momo mmc6500 components up front with a c400.4 polk momo amplifier. I am not using the passive crossovers. My question is, how do you go about setting the tweeter and midrange gains. Do I do it the traditional way by disconnecting the rca going to the front channels which drive the tweeters and then doing the same thing on the rear channels driving the midrange? I am having some difficulty setting the gains on the tweets and midrange properly. Help!!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
First off, yes, the gain setting procedure is similar as setting the gain with any amp...
Secondly... and this is MOST important... Tweeters (especially) and mids won't TAKE as much power (obviously) so, generally, setting the gain to whatever is comfortable for you, acoustically, will generally be safe enough. Make certain that the active crossover is a) NO LOWER than the passive's frequency, and b) NO SHALLOWER than the passive's slope.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I am utilizing the PRE-EQ button on the polk momo c400.4 amp. If you are familiar with this model, it has a pre eq button which is specifically made to biamp a set of their momo components. You can check it out on their website if you are unfamiliar. with what I am talking about. So basically I don't have to worry about setting the crossovers. But thank you for the heads up.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  

This will sound freakin' awesome, if the x-over points and slopes in PRE-EQ are really close to the passives that came with the components.

In the C400.4, Pre-EQ is an auto-preset filter (2nd Order HP, Fc 5.5kHz, Q of 0.707; 2nd Order LP, Fc 3kHz, Q of 0.707; 3rd order HP, Fc 50Hz, Q of 0.707; Notch Filter, Fc 11.7kHz, Q of 5.5, -2dB) that replaces the MMC Series passive Xover, and provides greater dynamic range and efficiency with MMC Series Speakers.

This comes from polk: http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/c400_4/

You do say you have mmc series speakers! Ooh, baby!

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 4:37 AM / IP Logged  
Hehe, it does sound great. This is my first aftermarket system so I don't have much to compare it to. I wonder how it compares with the best from JL audio. Oh, I do have the mmc6500's.
jaketime81 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
I am doing the same set up, momo 6.5 components and momo 4 channel biamped, but my question is do you have to use both sets of rca's, or do you only need one set from the deck?
jake
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

jaketime81 wrote:
I am doing the same set up, momo 6.5 components and momo 4 channel biamped, but my question is do you have to use both sets of rca's, or do you only need one set from the deck?

You really only need 1pair (you'd have to use RCA y-cables for 2pair of inputs into the amp), but to have 2pairs would make fading and possible time-correction features much easier to handle.

If you can run 2pair of RCA's, go for it. You can use the Momo 4channels RCA outputs to run to a sub amp if this is why you asked.

Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
I love the idea behind Polk-Momo's PRE-EQ feature. It makes for a nice front stage. You just have to use the MMC components, it's cool though.
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic