icon

98 cavalier passlock

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hobosalesman 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2007 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
1998 cavalier, engine stalls intermittantly, anti-theft light comes on when it does. Cranks but doesn't fire. Still drivable but a pain.
Has passlock 1 as far as I know. Looks like no chip ont he key or anything. Previously someone installed a new ignition, possibly without relearning so the new ignition resistance could look funny to the ECM or passlock module or whatever.
Does it sound like all it needs is a re-learn? Can I do that without a scan tool? If I remember the check engine light may be on.
Thanks!
jmsounds 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2007 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  

if they replace the ingnition swicth was it oem or after market because the passlock on gm cars is on the ingnition swicth so when replacing you have to have the same value resistor to work properly 

jm sounds

hobosalesman 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2007 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I know. I dont' know if it's OEM or not. Does anyone know how to have it relearn the ignition ressistance? THere isn't a simple way to disable it is there? I don't care if it works I just want the car to run and stay running.
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
There is no way to disable the passlock. The passlock is there to prevent someone from hotwiring the car.  If the ignition switch was replaced, it indeed needs to be re-learned. I am not sure exactly how that is done but I do know it needs to be done at a garage and they use a special tool. Does this happen every single time you try to start the engine?
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
hobosalesman wrote:
1998 cavalier, engine stalls intermittantly, anti-theft light comes on when it does.
  To add to an already old post, once the car is started, the passlock system would have nothing to do with the engine stalling once it is running. For one thing, if this was the case i'm sure gm would have many law suits on their hands....nothing like doin 80 down a highway and having your car stall out cuz of passlock. Passlock only stops the car from starting on the initial attempt. Sounds like you have a normal operating 98 gm vehicle to me...just kidding....i would definately look at the ignition switch, almost sounds like it's dropping ignition to me, or it could be many other things...fuel pump?
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2007 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
Pull the code on that check engine light. Very possible it will shed some light as to why the vehicle is stalling as well.
Mikvot is correct, passlock will not cause a vehicle to stall. The purpose of the immobilizer is to prevent starting all together.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic