icon

jl going to crutchfied.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2007 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, let's see. How much JL will Crutchfield sell? Do you REALLY think this will be in addition to sales by independents or will it just take away part of sales from small stores? We all know that answer, ask Alpine. As far as the source, I got my letter from JL President Andy Oxenhorn yesterday. My rep didn't even call first. I'm done with this industry.
There is no such thing as free installation!
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2007 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
They will not have the home audio from JL in crustchfield, yet. Yes they may sell it at map and give away free install kits or sub enclosures or anything else to sweeten the package, so who wins?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2007 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

JL wins.  They make more money.  Consumers may believe they win but all they really get is the illusion of lower prices when in reality they will pay the same for less service and probably eventually lower quality product as JL struggles to meet higher demand, and of course the dealer and distributor network that supported JL for years and made it possible for them to have the reputation and visibility they now enjoy get screwed big time.

Seems to be the way of this industry given recent history.  Car audio in general is headed downhill if you ask me.

I call it the WalMart effect.

Support the12volt.com
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2007 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, there are always ways around MAP, and you can be sure when Crutchfield starts slamming out product then they will pressure JL to soften the "Policy " towards them and we all know how the downward spiral goes.
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2007 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
There is more info on it HERE.
Very interesting stuff going on in the car audio industry recently with both JL and TC Sounds.
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2007 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
Don't know about JL, but have seen some of the NEW pricing for TC subs and wow!! They didn't lie about the mark-ups. TC-1000 before was $169 for a 10", now it is $350. No thank you. Curious to see how bad their high end stuff is gonna be. I'm not a big JL fan so don't really care what they do, but I did cringe the first time crutchfield started carrying Eclipse stuff, and am waiting to see if their stuff keeps the good quality or if they go downhill like alot have in the past.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2007 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
I can't speak for TC Sounds of course, but it seems to me they were either simply charging too little for what they were selling, and/or their costs have caught up with them.  Things like magnets and other parts that must be imported, along with ever increasing transportation and energy costs are driving people out of this business, not into it.  Raising prices is necessary for many companies to stay alive - that, or moving 100% of your production to China.    I hope more manufacturers take TC's lead and do whatever it takes to keep production here rather than ship it all off shore.  I'd rather pay more for something that keeps at least a few jobs here in the Americas rather than subsidize China's economy (and of course their lead paint, antifreeze and melamine industry.)
Support the12volt.com
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  

ths is the worst news i have heard in a while. i worked for Sound Advice (Tweeter) for over a year about 6 moths ago (i quit due to company status and DRASTIC pay change), and while there i took pride in the fact that JL wasnt one of those online brands. but i guess in this day its too hard to blaze your own trail forever.  but as long as the product quality stays the same and they continue to design and build great products, at the end of the day it might not change much. I still prefer to go buy the product at a store and be able to go back if i have a problem or question. Which you def do NOT get with crutchfield. if you have a problem with a product you have to ship it out.....wait......and then hope it got there and hope it gets back. F-That.

BTW---Tweeter has not closed. it has downsized drastically. Sound Advice (Florida Chain) is the last name kept open under the Tweeter name due to it being the only name under tweeter that had stayed profitable. and having just got off the phone with people that worked at the same Sound Advice as I did...i think it is BS for JL not to contact thier number 1 dealer of thier product first and let them know of this change. But probably again its probably more Tweeters fault for thier salesman not knowing whats going on then it is JLs fault.

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic