icon

subwoofer box dimensions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flipside123 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2007 at 3:48 AM / IP Logged  
I am having a hard time figuring out what the dimensions of a sealed box should be. I am planning on putting in 2 12" Infinity Reference 1250w Subwoofers at 300w RMS each.
I pretty much know the basics of how to go about building a box, i'm just not sure how to get the dimensions. I haven't measured out my trunk space but it's a fairly large trunk so i'm sure it will be able to accomodate any decent sized box.
Any help is appreciated.
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2007 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#rec

Infinity recommends 1.25 3^ft per sub. Play with the calculator above to come up with the size you need to fit your trunk.. To give you an idea on a rough size, 30"X16"X12" using 3/4" mdf = 2.51 3^ft.

flipside123 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2007 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea on the exact size I should cut the holes? On the infinity site, it says the cutout diameter for the sub is 11 3/16". Is that the size I should cut the holes or is it something else?
tdsteele 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2007 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
I would go by the size Infinity gives you.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 18, 2007 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, "cutout" is the exact size you should cut the hole.  You don't want to make it too large because there won't be enough wood to screw into, and if too small the woofer won't settle into it.  The woofer should set into the hole with just the slightest amount of play to all sides.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
flipside123 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2007 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the help. So basically, it doesn't really make that much of a difference what the dimensions are, as long as box is around 2.5 cubic feet in volume? Also do you recommend in the middle since i'm putting in 2 drivers? I calculated it out and if I make a box thats 35"X13"X13" with 3/4" fiberboard and put in a divider, the total volume should come out to about 2.508 cu. ft. Does that sound like it would work? I have some rough drawings if you would like to see them.
tdsteele 
Posted: August 23, 2007 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like it should be just fine. Sealed boxes can be pretty forgiving if the air space isn't exactly right, but what you have come if with be good to go. And yes, I would go with the divider in the middle if it was me, makes the box more sturdy as well.
flipside123 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2007 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, thanks for your help everyone.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic