icon

’05 tahoe stock stereo w/aftermarket amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
67impala427 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  

My aftermarket amp requires a remote turn on connection from the head unit.  My stock stereo my have a (pink) factory amp turn on connection.  I'll know for sure Wednesday when I get everything apart.  If there's no remote/factory turn on is there any other way that I can make this work?

Alex.

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  

One of two options.

1) Connect the amp turn-on to an acc circuit. It will turn on automatically when you turn the key to the acc position.

2) Put a switch on the dash to send the turn-on signal.

But neither will be necessary 'cause I'm sure the pink is present.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
67impala427 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Big Dog.

Alex.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

AAMP of america (peripheral) has a device thats called SVENR, a good hi to low WITH a remote turn on output.

Sells for around $50.00

theterminator 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2007 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
Yea you could prolly just wire it to a fuse in your fuse box. Like the light fuse if you have automatic headlights.
67impala427 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2007 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  

I have an '05 Tahoe with the stock head unit.  I don't want to replace the head unit as I like the stock one just fine.  I installed my amp from my other car in the Tahoe using a hi/lo converter as the stock unit does not have RCA hook-ups.  I tapped into the rear pillar speakers to get my signal for the hi/lo converter but I'm getting mid and hi's from my subs.   Is there some sort of filter or capacitor that I could use.  Also could it be because I tapped into the pillar speakers?  They don't really provide any bass.  Finally could it be that the converter is just a piece of crap?  Which I suspect.  Of course the guy who sold me the converter said it would work.  This is the first time I've ever used a hi/lo converter.  Before I've always used RCA's on aftermarket head units.

Alex.

reubenmead 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2007 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have a low pass switch on the amp? turn it on and set the frequency to a level to slightly overlap the cutoff on the fronts or about 100 HZ.
Reuben Mead, President, Auto Accessory & Install
mjmauto 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2007 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
Does your tahoe have the bose system ? If so you will need to hook up the hi/lo to the factory sub wires.
67impala427 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2007 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

mjmauto wrote:
Does your tahoe have the bose system ? If so you will need to hook up the hi/lo to the factory sub wires.

It doesn't have the Bose system.  When I went back to the guy that sold me the hi\lo he checked out everything and said it was all connected correctly but for whatever reason it's just not working.  Now he says I need to hook up a crossover.  I still feel like the problem is in the hi/lo.  The amp works just fine in my other car when I run rca's from the head unit.  I'll probably hook up a cross over anyway because I like the idea of having a remote bass control and the customization that a crossover allows.  Also I can adjust the amount of signal to the amp.  I feel like that hi/lo is not supplying enough signal.  What do you think?

T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2007 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
the line out converter just converts the speaker level inputs into rca outputs. It probably has separate gain dials for the left and right channels. the last one I used had all this. Reuben is on the right track asking about a lowpass crossover on the amp. Since you are running a stock system except for the amp and subs I would set the lowpass at around 100-120hz. Since this amp-sub combo sounded ok in your other vehicle I would leave its gain where it is for now and adjust the gains on the LOC til it sounds good to you. This is all just by ear and feel adjustments so someone should correct me if any of this is off the mark. Just my 2cents..... oh wait I just read something else you said. Are you tapped into the rear speakers like they still play and they feed the subs their signal? Or did you unplug the rears and use that signal to feed the subs by themselves which would mean that the rears don't work anymore?
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic