icon

2007 dodge charger ignition override

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
evtech 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
Just checking if any squad upfitters have tried installing an Ignition Override (Anti-Theft) in the new Chargers. For anyone else it is esentially a series of relays that keep the vehicle running after the key has been released. Like the "Pit Stop" function on a remote start. I have the wires I need, I am just wondering if anyone has run into problems with it. I am also wondering if I should interface the brake to shut the unit off. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
You can wire up couple of relays through proper resistance. You can turn it on/off through a switch.
as far as having the ign(s)/acc retain latched, and reset it by the brake, you will need to do some research. Check the relay section. There are special relay setups examples that may fall into your idea.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
evtech 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2007 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your help. My only concern is that the switch is on before the car is started. Which would give 610 ohms to the 2nd start wire, either not starting or throwing a check engine light. Maybe a simple note that says "Hey don't use this unless the car is running" will work
swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2007 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
use a data module xk532 from xpresskits.com it will control ign start locks security and transponder without the need of relays
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
benojeda 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2007 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

swerks wrote:
use a data module xk532 from xpresskits.com it will control ign start locks security and transponder without the need of relays

do i still use the resistors?

life is good when you know everything so i need alot of everything to make life good :)
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 28, 2007 at 7:15 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, that sounds like an interesting idea!
I assume the idea is that the officer can remove the key and leave the car running, but secure, right?
I don't see why you should run into any problems.
Also, the car has an anti-grind feature.....you cannot engage the starter a second time once the engine is running......so I wouldn't worry about that.
To simply keep the car running after it's already been started, all you should need would be two things:
-straight positive to the pink/white ignition wire
-ground, through the 610-ohm resistor, to the PURPLE / brown resistance wire.
If you are familiar with how to perform a "5 wire" setup using a relay.........that is, to interrupt the wire coming from the key cylinder........you could also prevent the driver from messing things up by turning the key while your device is already activated, but I don't think it would be necessary.
But if you wanted to, it would go like this:
CUT FACTORY PURPLE / BROWN IN HALF
87: 610 ohm resistor, with other end of resistor connected to ground
87a: "key side" of purple brown wire
30: "engine side" of purple brown wire
85: ground
86: positive ignition output from your "ignition override" device.
This way, when your device is on, moving the key to the "start" position would have no effect on the car whatsoever, until your device is deactivated.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic