icon

88 fleetwood fwd lost digital dash

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
goad125 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a JVC S570 CD Radio into a 88 Cadillac Fleetwood FWD using a Metra Harness from BestBuy BB-1677. Everything with the radio works great. However... I lost my digital Dash Lights and all related Instrument panel functions. BUT, if I turn on my headlights...now everything works like it is supposed to.Can someone help me? Did I use the wrong Harness? Is the Caddy a goofy one that has a wire difference, etc...
I noticed that the wiring from the caddy didnt match what is posted here... I mapped out my wiring from the car to the harness to the radio all in a excel spreadsheet.....
Radio = JVC S570 And the Mnetra Kit from Best Buy is BB-1677. This is the wiring that is setup in the car. The dashLights/Instrument panel doesn’t work UNLESS I turn the lights on. The Harness Kit I bought is what was recommended to me at BestBuy…It has 12 wires in the main connection and then there was a smaller Male connector with 2 wires on it An Orange wire and a Yellow wire (noted in the spreadsheet). I did not use this connector… it had nowhere to connect . Also the cadillac has the male connectors (3) that fit into the main harness (female) from Metra. The cadillac also had a 3 wire connector that has Orange, Grey and ORANGE / White (in this order) The color codes below indicate the 3 different connectors of the main harness that came from the metra kit.
Auto Wire CommentAuto WireMetra Harness Comment BB-1677Metra Harness BB-1677Radio Wire JVC S570Radio Wire Comment
Double WireYellow12 V Ignition/AccRedRedAcc Terminal
This part of the 3 wire connectorOrange12 V Batt/MemoryYellowYellowCar Battery bypassing Ignition
Grey/WhiteGroundBlackBlackTo Metallic Body or Chassis of Car
Yellow/BlackPower AntennaBlueBlue/WhiteAuto Antenna
I don’t know where these wires are….there not on ------>Amp Turn OnBlue/White
the metra connector…hmmm. -----> Amp GroundBLACK/ White
This is on the 2 wire connector…not connected. (METRA) ---->IlluminationOrange
*** See note below ----------------------------------->DimmerORANGE / White
Rt Front +Lt GreenRt Front +GrayGrayRt Front +
Rt Front -Dk GreenRt Front -Gray/BlackGray/BlackRt Front -
Left Front +TanLeft Front +WhiteWhiteLeft Front +
Left Front -Lt GreyLeft Front -WHITE/ BlackWHITE/ BlackLeft Front -
Rt Rear +Dk BlueRt Rear +VioletVioletRt Rear +
Rt Rear -Lt BlueRt Rear -Violet/BlackViolet/BlackRt Rear -
Left Rear +BrownLeft Rear +GreenGreenLeft Rear +
Left Rear -YellowLeft Rear -GREEN/ BlackGREEN/ BlackLeft Rear -
This part of the 3 wire connector (not connected to anything)Grey
The speakers all work fine The antenna works just fine and the radio shuts off after opening the door…this all works fine. *** The Cadillacs Gray wire is connected to ----The ORANGE / White wire of the Metra Kit and is connected to --- ORANGE / Black wire from the 3 wire conn from the cadillac I hope that this isnt too much info.
I'd be more than happy to email you this to take a look at the wiring issues that I faced....Any and all help would be appreciated!!!
Thanks
Ken
goad@yahoo.com
goad125 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2007 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

I did see that there is wiring info on this site for a 1988 - 1989 Fleetwood.

However it is not what I am looking for...because my Caddy is different so I need something with maybe more clarity...

1988 Fleetwood D'Elegance FWD

The 88 Fleetwood that I have has 3 seperate harnesses with 4 wires in each.  These 3 harnesses plug into a single harness to the radio (or my metra kit BB-1677) that houses all 12 wires.

2 of these house the + and - of the speakers and the other one houses what I believe would possibly be 12V Acc, Ground , power antenna and Dimmer(?) - Not sure,    that is why I am asking.

Then, there is a seperate connector that went into the original OEM factory unit (Bose symphony w/equalizer) that has only 3 wires in it.  A Orange, Gray, and ORANGE / Black Stripe.  I believe that the Orange is the 12V Batt.

What is the diagram for this?  I'm sorry but it didnt seem that the one that was posted is for this Fleetwood.

Thanks

Ken

still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2007 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
yep i had the same problem the wiring in your dash on the right side the three prong  the ORANGE / white is is your memory wire and the blue white is your remote turn on is grey. if you have any more questions let me know cause the color guide was wrong for  my 86 deville
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
goad125 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  

Jahmal robbins

THanks!  Please help, I am not sure what you are saying....

The 3 wire connector on the right...I have:

Orange Wire connecting to the Yellow wire of both the Metra and the Caddy.

Where does the Gray (from the 3wire conn) go???

Where does the ORANGE / Black wire go.

This is so the closest that I have come to getting this right...you said you had this problem....man I sure need some guidance.

You can email me directly if you wish

goad@yahoo.com

Thanks........................KEN

Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

Ive had the problem lots of cars with digital dashes, when you hook up illumination, but it looks like you didnt so????

sorry.

Matthew Robertson
Senior Installer
Best Buy Deerfoot Meadows
Calgary, AB, Canada

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic