icon

98 jeep grand cherokee loredo door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2007 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, Im about to install an alarm on a 98 grand jeep cherokee. My question was, Do i need relays for the door locks and if i do, can i get some help on them. thanks
caralarmtec 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2007 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, you will need 2 relays for those doorlocks. It is a five wire setup. On the relay pins 87 and 86 would go to constant 12v, pin 85 would go to lock/unlock output wires from alarm, pin 87A would go to vehicle switch side, and pin 30 would go to vehicle motor side wire.

17 Year Veteran Tech
lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2007 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
k thanks for the info!! this is all i need right?? besides the alarm?? no diodes or resistors
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2007 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
caralarmtec is totally wrong. Do a google search for a "DEI 455T". You need to get one of these. Otherwise someone doinging an install for the first time is going to spend over 6 hours doing just the doorlocks alone.
caralarmtec 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2007 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
The DEI 455t is a relay pack if your too lazy to wire up your own relays. plus it costs a lot more than two relays!! You might want to learn how to instal Jworm!!
17 Year Veteran Tech
caralarmtec 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2007 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

Actually you will need four relays not two. My bad. Just because you will have to go into both front doors for the locks.

And here it is directly from DEI for Jworm!

Use ORANGE / purple for lock and pink/black for unlock at the drivers door switch to operate the drivers door lock. Use BLACK/ white for lock and pink/black for unlock at the passenger front door switch to unlock all passenger doors. It is required to interface in each door even if the vehicle is equiped with keyless entry.

17 Year Veteran Tech
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2007 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
A relay pack? Its a databus module ***.
2 relays? I don't think so. Its actually 4. 2 in each front door. I was thinking it was 2 in each front door, and then some more for the rear doors. I forgot the front passenger door would do the rear doors as well. If you could get the wires in the vehicle, then it wouldn't be too bad. A novice installer (like the original poster) would have a much easier time using a 455T than running wires into 2 doors and wiring up 4 relays. I know the time I would save would be worth the cost of the $40 doorlock module.
JEEP, GRAND CHEROKEE, 1998, Power Lock
Use ORANGE / purple for lock and pink/black for unlock at the drivers door switch to operate the drivers door lock. Use BLACK/ white for lock and pink/black for unlock at the passenger front door switch to unlock all passenger doors. It is required to interface in each door even if the vehicle is equiped with keyless entry.
Can also use Directed interface module 455T. This will control door lock, unlock, arm, disarm, dome light supervision and more.
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2007 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  

JWorm idea is much better, get the 455T Databus module.  Its on ebay right now for under $30.  Its way worth the money! Its just a 2 wire hook up to the car at the OBD connection under the dash.  While they are both correct in what they are saying, you got to ask yourself, how much is my time worth??  I mean, a mere $30 will save you all the time of pulling off the door panels(2), running wires through the door jamb(twice), and the complexity of wiring  5-wire relay doorlock(in each door). Plus you can make most of your connections between the alarm and the 455T in your house before you even start the alarm. This means the actual install goes much faster! Here are the instructions to lock at for the 455T:

http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/ig/accessories/N455T_04-98.pdf

Goodluck in whichever decision you make,

Frank

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2007 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
Jworm is on point, don't waste the time running the relays its a p.i.t.a just get the 455t.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic