Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Bigkevin20 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2007 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
I know its with the volatage. I purchased this
http://cgi./dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250144904962&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=015
But it needs 12 volts to run, when I tested my alarm led I dont even think I got 1 volt from it. What can I do ? Also the led thats on it now responds to the alarm like it blinks slow or faster when some thing is happening to show code.
Would a relay work or what. Advice please.
88vette 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2007 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
With this type LED display you don't have to connect it to your alarm.
You just connect to ground, +12v continuous and 12v when key on only.
Should be instructions along with the LED scanner.
You don't need a relay.
Houston Texas
Bigkevin20 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
Now I already know that I can hook it up directly to 12 and ground. But I want this to work off of my alarm it self like it should. When I hit arm i want the lights to come on when I hit disarm I want to go off. Im not trying to hook this up just as a deterrent I want it to work with the alarm.
witxp 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

Bigkevin20 wrote:
Now I already know that I can hook it up directly to 12 and ground. But I want this to work off of my alarm it self like it should. When I hit arm i want the lights to come on when I hit disarm I want to go off. Im not trying to hook this up just as a deterrent I want it to work with the alarm.

I think you can use the ground when armed output from the alarm to activate a relay, which would power the led. Not sure if there is a better way. Just wondering? will this drain a lot of battery?

init 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
witxp wrote:

Bigkevin20 wrote:

I think you can use the ground when armed output from the alarm to activate a relay, which would power the led. Not sure if there is a better way. Just wondering? will this drain a lot of battery?

You could do that.  I don't see why it'd drain the battery.  The problem is, I think he wanted the LEDs to work like the alarm's status LED works, eg. flash faster during alarm status, view alarm codes, programming mode, etc...  That may not be possible, though.

init 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

BTW, that link is broken, so I can't really tell what it is.

If this is a scanning LED set, than trying to hook it into the alarm LED output is no good.  Depending on how long it takes for the LEDs to scan, even if it were possible to hook it up, you may only see it flash briefly as the alarm module is trying to flash just one LED, not control a scanning LED set.

88vette 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2007 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
His LED scanner is something like this one:
http://cgi./ASIANWOLF-BLUE-LED-SCANNER-FOR-CAR-ALARMS-CAR-ALARM_W0QQitemZ250158828069QQihZ015QQcategoryZ75389QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I have one similar and I just have it connected to the +12v, ground and +12v w/ignition on. I still have my single LED connected to my alarm.
The car is running the LED scanner is off. The car is off-alarm armed- the LED scanner scans.
As said above the voltage coming out of your alarm for a single LED is not 12v. Probably 2-3v to power one LED.
Houston Texas
Bigkevin20 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2007 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
88vette wrote:
His LED scanner is something like this one:
http://cgi./ASIANWOLF-BLUE-LED-SCANNER-FOR-CAR-ALARMS-CAR-ALARM_W0QQitemZ250158828069QQihZ015QQcategoryZ75389QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I have one similar and I just have it connected to the +12v, ground and +12v w/ignition on. I still have my single LED connected to my alarm.
The car is running the LED scanner is off. The car is off-alarm armed- the LED scanner scans.
As said above the voltage coming out of your alarm for a single LED is not 12v. Probably 2-3v to power one LED.
This sight does something to links cause I can never se them hear when posted. So what your saying is you have it hooked up to ground,12, and ign. when car is off it comes on automatically, not when you arm it rite? Also I don't have a problem with the relay, but would 2volts or less be enough to trigger a standard automotive relay? Also if I did use the led wire would it be constant or would it pulse? If it pulsed then I dont think that would work just make it keep going on and off. so there for I would have to find a non triggger output when armed on the alarm to really make it work, rite?
And yes it is the 7 led scanner from asian wolf I got it on ebay, cant post the link hear for some reason.
init 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2007 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

Links on this board are all broken for some reason.

The LED output is going to be pulsed, that's why I don't think this is going to work.  Just do like 88vette did; install the scanner as directed, and leave the original LED in place.  That way, you could still have the alarm LED for viewing codes, programming, etc, and have the scanner as theft deterrent.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic