icon

viper 791xv randomly not unlocking

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vt_hokie2008 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
On my 2003 Mazda6, I installed my VIPER 791XV over two years ago. It worked flawlessly for about a year and a half, but now 50% of the time when I disarm the alarm, the doors do not unlock. I already replaced the relay and it did the same thing, so not a sticking relay. It doesn't seem to matter what sequence of events occur or weather or anything, it's totally random. Is this a brain issue? If so, where and how much is a new brain?
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

Question here is, how did you tap into the door lock wire in your car.  Did you use t-taps? wrap and tape? solder?  It could actually be a loose connection. Unlock should be a straight ground.  You can test it by actually removing your unlock wire and disarm the system to see if it is at least pulsing it.  If it is doing it 100% everytime you test the wire then its a connection.  Always solder connections .

vt_hokie2008 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
All connections were soldered, so loose connection shouldn't be possible. I haven't tested it yet as it is pretty far up in the dash and I'm not looking forward to the experience.
f150fan 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
The best thing to do is meter the the unlock wire going into your relay to make sure that you signal coming from out of the brain. If 50% of the time you have no signal, I would say it is the brain. If you always have signal but it still wont unlock then you need to look further down the line. It looks that car uses resistors for both lock and unlock. It is possible that maybe the connection on the resistor is broke or loose. That is what I would check next.
vt_hokie2008 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
the resistor is only on the lock, not unlock. One thing that is odd is that the alarm has never once failed to unlock my car when the ignition it turned to off. I'll check out the connections as soon as I can.
f150fan 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
Your right on the resistor thing. I just glanced at the tech sheet and saw multiplexed on the lock/unlock. So do you have a relay on the unlock side or just the lock side?
init 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2007 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
You may need to check the wire, too.  Make sure it isn't getting pinched in anything.
vt_hokie2008 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2007 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
there are two relays, one on each. They are easily accessible, so I can do my testing there.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic