finishing stereo shopping list

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ryeguy1 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2007 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  
Hi-
Redoing my entire stock system and was wondering all the extra stuff I'd need to buy to just give to the installer so they don't rape me with extra costs (like wires, etc) and I wanted to know if the stuff I picked is OK.
2 pairs of Polk Audio db651
http://www..com/item_9111_Polk+Audio+db651.html
Pioneer Premier DEH-P490iB
http://www..com/item_8520_Pioneer+Premier+DEH-P490iB.html
Orion HP-4600 (4x50w rms @ 4ohms)
http://www..com/item_10004_Orion+HP-4600.html
My stock speakers are 6x8.. will I be able to put the 6.5" in the spot using these 6x9 adapters? Will that one inch really matter?
http://www..com/item_4965_Scosche+SA69.html
I'm lost as far as amp wiring kits go.
Thanks!
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2007 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

Get screwed on extra's, hmmm. Don't know about anybody else but if you buy all your doodie on the net then expect the install to cost the same???? HA! 

snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2007 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
while i worked at a shop the guy who brought his stuff in from someone else was done last, we took care of our customers first, and typical install cost was a lot higher then for someone who brought their products from us....
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2007 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
Part of the "extras" that us installers "rape" you for would be the advice on what fits in your car, and what equiptment is good, we can help you get "unlost" when it comes to amp wiring. First off,  the inch does make a difference. You will not have the bass response that you would get out of just using the correct size speaker. Why did you go with the wrong size speaker? Be prepared to go to more than one shop before someone takes you in without purchasing anything from them. My shop will not work on your car unless one componant was purchased through us. As far as amp wiring goes, if the cost is cheap, the quality is too. We sell a crappy 25 dollar "all you need"  4 ga amp kit and guess what? The insulation is 4 ga, the wire is barely 10... Needless to say, I never reccomend that garbage to anyone.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 31, 2007 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

ryeguy1 wrote:
Hi-
Redoing my entire stock system and was wondering all the extra stuff I'd need to buy to just give to the installer so they don't rape me with extra costs (like wires, etc) and I wanted to know if the stuff I picked is OK.
Thanks!

You've been a member, obviously inactive mostly, since what?  2005? here at the12volt, which boasts the largest installer membership of any car audio forum.  Installers who, free of charge, give advice to help internet users with technical questions.  And you say this?

My advice:  a good relationship with the shop that installs your system is good as gold.  Communication...that's all it takes.  Talk.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2007 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
ryeguy1 wrote:
I have to agree with the comments placed by the others... You aren't getting "raped" if you are getting a proper install, and good support afterwards... If you are simply worried about PRICE, go to Best Buy or Circuit City, and you'll find that THERE is where you're gonna get raped faster than a reputable "small store". I admit, we have some guys here on the forum who work for both of those places, but these are NOT the general rule for installers at the "big box" stores. I've heard FAR more horror stories from BB and CC installs than I have ever heard from a good, local store... Proper rapings. It all really boils down to this: you'll get what you pay for.
ryeguy1 wrote:
2 pairs of Polk Audio db651
http://www..com/item_9111_Polk+Audio+db651.html[/QUOTE]
A better choice, for not much more $$$, IMO.
ryeguy1 wrote:
Pioneer Premier DEH-P490iB
http://www..com/item_8520_Pioneer+Premier+DEH-P490iB.html[/QUOTE]
Not a fan of Pioneer decks. Probably WAY less chance of noise with this one...
[QUOTE=ryeguy1]Orion HP-4600 (4x50w rms @ 4ohms)
http://www..com/item_10004_Orion+HP-4600.html[/QUOTE]
That's a POS, as are ALL of the new O-fry-on amplifiers. This one'd be a MUCH better choice, for 50 bucks less...
[QUOTE=ryeguy1]My stock speakers are 6x8.. will I be able to put the 6.5" in the spot using these 6x9 adapters? Will that one inch really matter?
http://www..com/item_4965_Scosche+SA69.html
Probably not... You need a 6X8 adapter. They exist. Do it right.
[QUOTE=ryeguy1]I'm lost as far as amp wiring kits go.
Forget the amp kit... Let your local store sell you the proper lengths of the proper size wire, when you buy it from them.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2007 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  
This thread ( and guy ) is one of the main reasons I am getting out of the business. Pretty soon the only people left will be the ones "raping" you.
There is no such thing as free installation!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2007 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
ryeguy1, if you had bought that gear from a local shop you could probably get it installed it for about $40 plus $25 for wiring kit and parts.  If you buy that stuff off the web and bring it to a shop you should be charged shop labor rate of around $65 an hour plus 100% retail for all parts.  This is normal and expected in the industry, and if you think that's being "raped" then you are ignorant about how business works.
Support the12volt.com
ryeguy1 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2007 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry guys, I didn't look at it from that viewpoint. I was just trying to save money. I know that a site like sonic electronix is definitely cheaper than most retail stores so I figured it would be cheaper for me in the long run.
DYohn wrote:
ryeguy1, if you had bought that gear from a local shop you could probably get it installed it for about $40 plus $25 for wiring kit and parts. If you buy that stuff off the web and bring it to a shop you should be charged shop labor rate of around $65 an hour plus 100% retail for all parts. This is normal and expected in the industry, and if you think that's being "raped" then you are ignorant about how business works.
So you're saying even when I bring in my own stuff they'd still charge me the price of it?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2007 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
No, I'm saying you'll be charged a higher install rate than if you purchased the gear from the shop, and that they may want you to purchase the proper wiring etc. from them.  Check with the shop before you spend any more money.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic