icon

thoughts on system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2007 at 2:16 AM / IP Logged  

I have a '73 Karmann Ghia and here are my thoughts on where I'm going with it. Please I already know the spelling is bad...

Because I don't have an engine up front to deal with I have removed the dash and cut through the fenders so that the Dynaudio dome mid and tweeters will be as wide as possible and about 15 inches past the front windshield. I will create new inner fender wells to protect everything out of steel. There will also be a center channel (and before you hiss to much It is three for watching movies). In the nose of the Ghia I plan on rebuilding this area to accommodate two JL 12" w6's and still have a spare tire. In the foot wells I will vertically stack 2 of the Dynaudio 7" drivers.

Amplification will be 4 alpine MRV-T757. I will dedicate one channel to each tweeter and mid range in the front stage (6 channels total) the forth T757 will drive the rear channels consisting of a Dynaudio dome tweeter and and 6" mid. I will use an Alpine 4.150 bridged to two channels for the mid-bass. And finally I will have an Alpine 1.1000 for the two 12's.

My head unit will be the Alpine 310 DVD player in combination with the 701 sound processor. It has the time correction and 24 DB cross-overs. But I have to admit Haemphyst processor is really starting to get under my skin.

I plan on forming the dash out of speaker mesh and steal. It will be a monolithic curve from door to door without visible gauges until you start the car. I intend to use and electronic display for gauges but have not purchased it yet as these are rapidly getting better and better.

OoO this should bring a smile to some. I will run two alternators and two batteries. I ran it this way before with great success and will continue. The batteries are behind the seats. The leads from the battery to the amps are less than 18". I run 0 that is only 6 feet long from the160 amp rated alt to the battery. I have eliminated as much of the voltage drop as I can.

This gives you an over all view of where I'm going over the next year with this car system. I would like to know what people think here.

OK I have my armor suit on let the comments begin....

Any comments?

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 01, 2007 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
Just post some pics. I am a VEEWEE lover (the classics) My dream car is a 67 Ghia. anyways.... sounds good, let's see it looking good. It's quite a project your undertaking!
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2007 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  

This thread is useless without pics!

Sounds like you have done your homework! Good luck and keep us posted on the progress. I will keep my eyes peeld for you on the cover of various vee dub mags in the future.

jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2007 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  

OK I will see what I can do about the pictures of the work in place so far. The front is at a stand still untill I get all the pieces together for the front beam/suspention. I need the front end completely moched up to form the inner fenders and place the mid and tweets. So as of now there are a bunch of holes.

Currently I'm collecting parts. There are lot. I have a pair of 993 Big Red calipers and a pair of drop spendles. I'm still need the Porsche hubs and rotors. This is proving difficult as each piece is actually from a different make and modle of Porsche...sigh...and though kits are availible the knowledge is not otherwise how will they sell their kits. But this is not stereo talk other than I have to get it in place before I can go any further.

What is Stereo related is the genisis that lead me to take such a radical path. In the pictures that I will post latter you will see the pods I built for the front speaker arrays. Even though I had achieved great latterial imagining from either seat, I could not get the image to the top of the dash but ran along the bottom. This is how most cars are when the speakers are placed this way. If I wanted the image to be higher and out past the dash I needed to put the speakers there. This is why "Wave Guilds" work; they fold the longer path into a shorter distance.  But to me they still sound like horns (This is a personal opinion BTW).

So I guess Picture are next

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2007 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, Jack! I'd love to see what you're working as well! Per Bob, my understanding is that you want to hear my finalized system, too! Let's get together!
You have PM!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic