icon

sub box for 2 kicker cvr 10’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
luckydawg003 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2007 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 kicker cvr 10' dvc(soon to be 4 ohm) subs. What box should I get for them. I have a 07 Ford Mustang GT so trunk space is very limited and it is hard to get many boxes to fit thru the small trunk opening. My subs need a minimum sealed volume of .8cuft. and max of 3cuft. So if I got a sealed mtx box with .75cuft per chamber would it sound right? Or is that box just a lil bit too small? Or should I just order a ported box from kicker that may or may not fit in my trunk opening? What do you guys think. thanks
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 02, 2007 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  

Never use a box with airspace less than the minimum that the manufacturer suggests.  Those minimum recommendations are going to produce boomy sound with very little low end extension...but reasonable bass output in some user's opinions.  Everybody knows the space limitations when dealing with car audio, and the manufacturer is just as aware of this as anyone.  They make such recommendations so that their products can be made to fit into just about any vehicle application.  That doesn't mean that the .8 cu ft size will sound anything like the 3 cu ft size.

I suggest contacting someone who is good at building custom enclosures to have a look at this.  He may want to work a solution up for you using some software, and he may also want to build two enclosures instead of one so that they can be fitted through the trunk opening easier and then arranged and fitted within the cargo area.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
luckydawg003 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
Well I decided against ordering the Kicker box or buying a cheap box from work. Instead I am going to have a custom shop build me a bad ass fiberglass box built to spec. for my subs. Thanks guys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic