icon

2007 dodge ram automatic headlights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ibow24 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

one more question about the wiring you desribed.

Were I make the connection to the W / LG wire on the headlamp switch. Am I going to cut this wire and connect the truck side to the resistor and blue wire or am I making a tap off the W / LG wire?   If I cut this wire then I assume the switch will no longer turn the lights on and also I doubt I would be able to turn the fog lights on...and I assume being able to turn the lights on with the switch is probably an inspection requirement. If I make a T tap off the the W/LG wire I should then still be able to turn them on with the switch if needed but they would also turn on with the DEI unit.

Also Enice,  in your last post you said to ground the Violet wire but then you said the Violet wire goes to B/W or B/O on the wiper motor.

thanks again for your patience and help.

Steve

enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  

You have 2 violet wires.  The relay one goes to ground and the other harness on the module is the one connected to the wiper motor.

What you want to do is just strip the WHITE/ light green wire and connect your blue wire to it.  After do that you cut the blue wire and put a resistor in between in and test to see if it works.  And by they way DO NOT T TAP, just strip the wire and make a "little hole" in it and put your blue wire through it.  When you turn on your switch manually it will not turn on the unit because its an output wire and basically doesnt make sense to get into depth on why.  Trust what im saying and you should be done and have a working 545T.  If you can, solder the connections that you made.

ibow24 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

ah...you're right...2 violets.  Thanks.

why not do a T-tap?

thanks again

Steve

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
ibow24,
Again, since I'm not familiar with the 545T, maybe it's better to break it down like this:
1. Install the majority of the 545T.....get -yourself to the point that when it's dark out, you have a wire coming from the 545T that puts out a ground.
2. Bring that wire to the headlight switch.
-Strip open (but don't cut) the wire on the truck.
-Connect the 545T wire to one end of your resistor.
-Connect the other end of the resistor to the wire on the truck.
As far as enice not telling you to use a T-tap, he's referring to a specific brand of electrical connector, the T-Tap from 3M (and other companies), which clips onto the factory wire, instead of having to cut/splice/solder.
If you're using the general term of making a "T" type of connection to the factory wire, yes, that's exactly right.
There is a lot of disagreement among professional installers as to what type of connection is best/acceptable....... T-tap, poke-wrap-tap, poke-wrap-solder-tape, and others.
But that is a discussion for another day----just make the best, most reliable connection you can.
enice 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
T Taps get loose and are not recommended in any automotive installation.  If you solder your connections and need to troubleshoot the install then the connections part wouldn't be a factor. 
ibow24 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

OK, so the T-tap issue is one of reliability or lack of.  got it.  Solder is good with me.

one last question and I promise I'll quit bugging you guys.

Enice, in your description of the relay wiring you said BLUE goes to light switch with 660ohm in line and Violet goes to ground. Did you mean BROWN goes to ground ?  the relay with the BLUE wire on 30 has the BROWN wire on 87 (not violet)  The other relay has Green on 30 and Violet on 87.  With the installation you described, Since the 660ohm resistor triggers BOTH parking and headlights I'm really only using one of the relays correct?   I'm guessing that the Violet wire on the 7 wire harness that goes to the wiper motor. When the wiper is turned on the violet wire becomes engergized into the module and that in turns energizes the relay, closes the switch and turns on the lights.

thanks, Steve

enice 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

Exactly the way you mentioned with the motor part.  Also, I just saw the manual again and yes you are right.  I got the wires mixed up on the relay part.  Since the resistor turns on both the parking lights and headlights then you wouldnt need the other relay.  If you dont want it to be bulky you cut the wires and match on a seperate relay.  Remember the name of the game is not just to make it work but to make it look factory(well at least in my game).  BTW, you arent bugging anyone.  This is how you learn.  Good that you asked before you did anything.  Its a brand new car and would hate to see something go wrong.

ibow24 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  

Great,  I think I got it all now.

I found some wiring diagrams for the 06 Ram.  Do you have any idea if the 07's are the same?  I'm trying to find a good place to get the constant +12v and the switched ignition point.  It looks like Pk / Y  is switched to the power outlets in the dash.  I should be able to use that OR I do not have heated seats so I can probably just plug into the connector where the heated seats control would normally be. Not sure where to find a constant +12 source yet.

OH, and according to the 06 wiring the Intermittant Wiper Switch Signal wire is Br / Y.  I believe that is where I want to take the violet from 7 wire harness of the 545T.

once again. A HUGE thanks for patience and help,  Steve

vitrox 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  
not to say all these ideas aren't great.. but why not just throw a diode on the relays under the hood?  1 diode coming from the fuel pump negative trigger going to the low beam negative on the relays will work also.
ibow24 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  

ummm..that doesn't sounds too easy to me.

I took the bottom dash panel off just to start looking around for the wires I need.  The harness for the headlight switch was easy to get to and unplug but it has THREE white and light green wires in it LOL...as long as it is the same as the 06 wiring, the one I want is #1 on the plug so that's easy enough...but all the other wiring behind the dash is all wrapped in bundles and spiral wound with electrical tape.  It's not going to be easy to find the wiper wire or a constant +12 and switched +12.

Also unless I figure out a  way to rewire the fog lamps it looks like I will have turn on the headlight switch even though the lights will already be turned on by the 545T.  Unless.....  The fog lights come on with a push of headlamps switch button. You DO NOT have to push this button every time you want them on.  Push it once and they will come on anytime you turn the switch to parking lights or headlights.  SOOOOO,  During normal operation the parking light / headlight switch will stay in the OFF position allowing the 545T to automaticlly turn them on. If I want the fog lights on I just turn the headlight switch to the "parking light" position and they will come on. 

I guess I need to test the 660 ohm resistor value.   I think there would be 3 different values needed to turn on the sepeate light groups.   X ohms = parking lights only,  Y ohms = Parking lights AND Headlights,  Z ohms = Parking Lights / Headlights & Fog Lights.  Hopefully the 660 value turns on the parking lights and headlights and when I turn the switch it add in the fog lights.  maybe....wait...the fog lights would be in parrallel with the automatic lights not in series so I guess that would work.     I dont know, I'm not that smart.

Steve

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic