the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

best place to put cap?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  

Basic electricity.  Voltage is common at all nodes in a parallel circuit.  Yes, if you add series resistance between the nodes you can drop the voltage.  This is one reason why adding a cap as close to the load as possible is preferred to minimize the voltage drop due to cable resistance, but more to reduce the effects of heating due to current flow.  A capacitor discharges current into the system whenever the voltage changes and this current will go to ground through the lowest resistance path, no matter if that's through the amplifier or through insulation resistance.

Perhaps we are saying the same thing but we don't speak the same language.  :)

Support the12volt.com
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

Oh yeah, but the sales guy said that my lights would stop dimming, my system would gain 300db, I would grow facial hair, and my stock 14 inch rims would turn into 26's if I bought a cap... I want my 20 bucks back!!! JK

These are my favorite threads. Not the cap ones, but the ones with motorcycle references!best place to put cap? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Seriously this time...I have learned more from these friendly debates than my senior year of high school.

Thanks for the wedding well wishing/advice/warnings!!!!! And in my retail life labor day is known as a helloday... I just hid out in the bay away from the crazies trying to get the limited time deals.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
sarcomax wrote:

Oh yeah, but the sales guy said that my lights would stop dimming, my system would gain 300db, I would grow facial hair, and my stock 14 inch rims would turn into 26's if I bought a cap... I want my 20 bucks back!!! JK

That only works with SONY caps.

sarcomax wrote:

Thanks for the wedding well wishing/advice/warnings!!!!! And in my retail life labor day is known as a helloday... I just hid out in the bay away from the crazies trying to get the limited time deals.

That kind of craziness is good craziness.  Enjoy married life!

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
And my recommendation to put it before the distribution block was to provide votage stabilization for all of the amplifiers in the system. ALL amplifiers will "benefit" from the additional current capacity, rumored to be provided by a capacitor.
Any resistance provided in a distro block will be present in all of the outputs of that distro block, each of the fused points, correct? If the cap is ONLY present in the subwoofer lead AFTER the distro block, only the bass amplifier will "benefit", while at the same time causing an even more severe voltage drop on the input side of the distribution (due to the additional current demands of the caps own recharging, after it has "done it's job"). With the cap installed on the input side, the voltage sag, for all devices involved, will be identical.
AFAIAC, the distortion present or created by a low voltage power supply condition will be FAR more noticeable on a mid/high amplifier than it could EVER be on a subwoofer amplifier. I still recommend placing the cap before the distribution block... That, or use the cap's actual terminal for distribution purposes (like I did), that way you don't have to worry about it.
:::::::EDIT:::::::
In order to put the cap in the lead, anywhere, you have to cut the lead, introducing, at a minimum, 4 more connection points. Look at it in your mind, you'll see them all... Everyplace there is a metal to metal contact, there is additional resistance - a connection point. And soldering DOESN'T help... Solder is a relatively POOR conductor of electricity, (in fact, it's quite crappy...) being lead and tin (See here for conductivity, relative to silver, copper, and gold); a proper crimp connection i.e. a "cold weld" is the best option. Solder will make you feel better, but it's only REAL benefit is that it is a vibration PROOF connection. Lead is 12.4 times more resistive than copper, and tin is 6.5 times more resistive than copper. That's a SIGNIFICANT addition, I'd say... and you're worried about the voltage drop in the fuse contact points within the distribution block...
By creating a distribution block, that is actually INSTALLED ON THE CAP, you end up with a grand total of 3 connection points. Input to distro, cap connection point, and output to amplifier. Seems to me this is the VERY BEST way to do it, if TRULY worried about the miniscule additional resistances introduced by connection points...
Oh, wait, that's EXACTLY what I did! best place to put cap? - Page 2 -- posted image. best place to put cap? - Page 2 -- posted image. ...and SHARED the cap "benefits" with all of the amplifiers!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
luckydawg003 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I'm going to just put the cap before my distribution block. Thanks for all the weird reply's. You guys sure know how to dig deep into a simple ?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
luckydawg003 wrote:
You guys sure know how to dig deep into a simple ?
That's what we do! best place to put cap? - Page 2 -- posted image. Hope it wasn't TOO confusing for you!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic