the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Can my amp handle a two ohm load bridged?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
arjai01 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2003 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  

I'm stuck on this one problem that I have encountered when I decided to upgrade from a single 12 inch sub, to dual 12 inch subs.  Alright, here is what I am dealing with...

Right now I have an MTX 2ch amp (RT2400X) which is bridgeable to 1ch giving a 4 ohm load.

specs.  200w x 2 into a 4ohm load

375w x 2 into a 2 ohm load

750w bridged into a 4ohm load

I want to push two 12inch Sony Xplod XS-L1236 4ohm subwoofers. 

specs. rms 300w  and  max is 900w

Now, my question is.........can I hook up the two subs in parallel and pump out a 2ohm load with my amp bridged so I can get the most out of my amp, or will my amp overheat and shut off.

Is there a way where I can get a 2ohm load from my subs so I can use the 375w x 2 to give my the 2ohms that I am looking for?

There is nothing in my amp manual saying that I can bridge both channels and get 2 ohms out of it.  Am I missing something here......I seriously need some help! 

What should I do?

Everything happens for a reason!
fakepete 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2003 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
Your only choice is to connect one sub to each channel and run them at 200w x 2@4ohms. If you parallel the subs together to get a two ohm load, you can only connect them to one channel and will only be getting a total of 375w, or 187w per sub. The amp can only handle a 4 ohm load when bridged, so you can't connect them that way either.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2003 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Wire them in parallel (+ to + and - to -). You'll get the 2 ohm load and the 375 per channel (stable). The bridge effectivly turns a 2 channel amp into a mono channel with a high single output. When it says 375w x 2, it means each channel is getting 375 watts (not 187 per channel). If you only hooked up 1 4ohm speaker to say the left channel (and didn't hook anything up to the right channel), then you would still only get the 375 to that channel. That's why people bridge, they combine the 2 channels output into a single output (375 + 375 = 750) inorder to get max power to 1 speaker. But, like I said, wire the 2 subs in parallel and you should be fine
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
k67p67 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2003 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
No, that amp is not going to be o.k. with a 2-ohm bridged load. It would be like hooking up a 1-ohm load to each channel in stereo. It won't remain stable.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2003 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
Didn't mean to cause confusion. I never said to bridge the amp. I was suggesting the 375x2 @ 2ohms configuration wired in parallel. I was trying to explain what bridging does, not suggest using it with the given information. Everyone is correct, do not run both speakers with this amp bridged.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2003 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
you may want to consider a different amp.
the JBL BP600.1 would yield 600W RMS into a 2 Ohm load.
This is a monoblock amplifier and designed for driving subs.
built in crossover, etc. very nice amp. reliable, loud, and clean.
only about $185 from eTronics.com too
that's the best bet for two 4 Ohm subs.
bridged, a two channel amp will see half the actual load presented to it, due to how bridging works by inverting teh phase of one channel.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
arjai01 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2003 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info guys......it helped a lot.   I'm just going to use the two channels til i get another amp.  Thanks again.

Everything happens for a reason!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic