icon

sidewinder 6000 starter interrupt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
evagrius 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Sidewinder 6000 security system installed on a 1996 Sable (which I am about to sell, I hope). It now seems to prevent starting the car. Why now? Don't know -- did have to remove glove compartment and replace it to fix its latch -- doesn't seem related.
Anyway: I can put the system into valet mode using the valet switch (ignition to run and then off, and then press valet switch). LED off. Then if I try to start it, starter will not turn engine over, and when I turn key off alarm chirps about 6 times and then triggers the siren. I can turn off siren with remote. Then LED is flashing slowly. If I repeat the valet sequence (ignition to run and off; press valet switch) LED shows constant on. Engine still will not turn over. Repeating valet sequence again leaves LED off. Starter will not engage at any point in this, but triggers the chirps and alarm (sometimes the alarm directly, I think). I have tried various sequences of the two bottons on the remote, with no effect.
My father had the system installed when the car was new. I do not know who installed it or where they put the control unit, etc. The manual speaks of a second "hidden" switch: I have never known of one, and the only other times the ignition has been interrupted, the valet mode sequence (or pressing valet switch w/ ignition in run) would clear it.
Obviously my goal is to get the car to start. Battery seems strong, transmission is in park, etc., so I think it must be the alarm, particularly since it is behaving strangely anyway. I had been leaving it on valet all the time, and it never bothered anything.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received!
Fr Ousley
Fr Ousley
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
You really need to check your battery connections and cables.
evagrius 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2007 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
I've tried that: connections are solid. When I reconnect, alarm sounds, and siren can be stopped by valet switch sequence or remote.
Thanks.
Fr Ousley
evagrius 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
Turns out "I am an idiot" was right after all. I checked the cables and conections, which were fine. The battery itseelf is weak, as it turns out. Enough power to power the alarm, but not to turn the car over as well. My guess is that at that point the alarm lost power, and then, regaining power when the ignition was switched off, bleww as if battery had been disconnected and reconnected. Thanks
Fr Ousley
eurobink 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2007 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

whenever the battery is low, alarms act as if they are on crack.. glad you have your car working

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic