leds with toggle switch and door relay

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioranger4l 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
Hello there!
Im currently attempting to wire in 16 small blue LEDs in the interior of a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT. I was originally going to use a distribution block to tap into a 4 gauge power that is running from 12v+ battery to the amp, use speaker wires to run power to the lights (+ wire for power and - wire for ground), and put an in-line toggle switch on the power line between the 4gauge and speaker wires so i could simply flip the switch on for lights, off for no lights.
But now i want things to be a little more complicated i guess and wire it so that when a door is open, the lights will come on for a period of time (exactly like how my dome light behaves) and still have the ability to flip the toggle switch to turn them on and off.
So in summary:
switch on/ doors closed - lights on
switch off/doors closed - lights off
switch on/ doors open - lights on
switch off/ doors open - lights on <---the tricky part i think!
Is this possible and if it is, how? If its not possible then will my original wiring plans work?
Thanks in advance for any advice/help!
JL Audio 10W1v2 (x2)
Alpine Type-S SPS-57C2 (x4)
TMA T500.1
TMA T320.4
Alpine CDA-9851 HU
Audiobahn AEQ8 EQ
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Can't you turn on the domelight by turning the headlight switch all the way to one end?      If so why not use the domelight wiring to power your LEDs.  Of course you would need to get 12volt LEDs or use resistors with standard LEDs.
hotmilk400 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2007 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

if u are willing to spen alittle more for a aftrer market secrity system with wireless entry.. then u can get a really awesome effect.  alot better then what u have there.

the system will cost you about $60 on amazon ( i can up what i have, but i think u could do it with any system) 
Now, the way i have mine set up is that when you hit the unlock on your keyless entry, all my interor lighting lights up, and stays lite untill i start the car, or after 15 seconds.  (it also blinks when u first do it)  .  also, when u lock your car, it blinks a few times. 
I can also control all the lights by a toggle switch, that is todally indepenent.  (meaning it doesnt matter if it is off or on, when i hit unlock/lock it will alwasy turn on)   
now, what i did to get that effect was to wire my whole after market system up right, execpt one thing.  Instead of hooking up the outside lights ( i think it was your driving lights, and/or Parking lights)  i made the wire control my interior lights.  so instead of your outside lights doing all that (like blinking and staying on) my interior lights do it.. its VERY AWESOME.. and also u can control your lights with a wireless keychain.  (hit unlock and they will always turn on)    the system is nice by itself.  the alarm is great (not to touchy) and the wireless entry is a must have on any car..
now.. im not sure if u would already have wireless entry and/.or alarm . but u could always add a system

audioranger4l 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
My ruck already has something like what your talking about, hotmilk. I have a keyless entry and whenever i press the unlock button my interior dome light will come on for a short period of time. Also when i open and close the door, the lights will remain lit for some time before turning off. And when i exit the vehicle and the interior dome light is on, when i press the keyless lock button, the headlights will flash, horn sound, and interior lights will shut off. I want my LEDs to act the same way as my interior dome light so it all works together but also have the option of a toggle switch to turn the LED lights on and off at specific times when driving.
JL Audio 10W1v2 (x2)
TMA T500.1
TMA T320.4
Alpine CDA-9851 HU
Audiobahn AEQ8 EQ
hotmilk400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  

hook your + 12 volt lead on to your dome light lead (you can normall get to it really easy at the switch, if u rip the front pannels off)  make sure you get the lead that is AFTER the switch, (so the switch controles it)   once u got that lead, run it back to your toggle switch and connect it to lead 1.  find a differnt +12 volt source that is on all the time.  connect that to lead 2 on the switch.   the lead coming off your switch to your lights should be taken from lead 1.  

leds with toggle switch and door relay -- posted image.
then, your LED's light up when your door is open (or whenever your dome light is on)  and u can also control it by the toggle switch.  (and your keyless entry)  the toggle switch wont effect your lights, exepct they would turn them on whenever u wanted (and also your dome light)    the best i can give you is make your dome light a differnt color (mine has 10 white LED's , and 5 Blue LED's, and gives a very bright blue color off. )  looks great in my car.   im sure there is a complicated way of doing it with a relay, but i cant think of one right now.   that way will be easy to do     

hotmilk400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
sorry for the horrible drawling.. let me knwo if u have any other questions :-)
switch on/ doors closed - lights on
switch off/doors closed - lights off
switch on/ doors open - lights on
switch off/ doors open - lights on
will work perfectly if u wire it up like i sa
audioranger4l 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2007 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
so by wiring it this way will cause all my LEDs AND the dome light to come on when i flip the switch to on? I dont suppose that you know a way to make it so that the dome light wont come on when thee doors are closed and switch on?
switch on/ doors closed - LEDs only on
switch off/doors closed - All interior lights off
switch on/ doors open - All interior lights on
switch off/ doors open - All interior lights on
sorry to change things but i wouldn't want my dome light to be on while driving around. Oh, and i did switch out my dome light bulbs with some blue ones so the color matches. =)
JL Audio 10W1v2 (x2)
TMA T500.1
TMA T320.4
Alpine CDA-9851 HU
Audiobahn AEQ8 EQ
audioranger4l 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2007 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
I just thought of an answer to my own question. If i put a diode into the set-up like shown, would this make the toggle switch only affect the LEDs and not the dome light, yet the dome power can still power both the LEDs and dome light.
leds with toggle switch and door relay -- posted image.
JL Audio 10W1v2 (x2)
TMA T500.1
TMA T320.4
Alpine CDA-9851 HU
Audiobahn AEQ8 EQ
hotmilk400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2007 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
that would work. make sure u size the diode right, or it wont give u enough amps to run the lights (but it should be fine if its just LED's)
sorry, i forgot about diodes, i dont work with them much.  good idea
audioranger4l 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2007 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
so i got a diode:
Voltage (Vz): 12.0V
Current (Iz): 21mA
Max. power dissipation: 1.0W
will this work for 16 21-35 mA LEDs?
I did a crude mock-up with 4 lights and a 9V D battery and it works like it should. Could there be any difference with 16?
JL Audio 10W1v2 (x2)
TMA T500.1
TMA T320.4
Alpine CDA-9851 HU
Audiobahn AEQ8 EQ
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic