icon

safely avoiding relays

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
99boty 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

When sending a low current output [e.g. 200mA (-)] from an alarm brain to a factory wire, a relay is normally used. But in the case where the factory wire is drawing less current than the output is supplying I have read that it is safe to connect the output directly to the factory wire. In general, is the alarm output current always the threshold not to be exceeded by the factory wires? My situation right now is  connecting a 120mA factory disarm output directly to the factory disarm wire that only pulls 9 mA, and by doing so will the factory wire still only have 9mA going through it or the full 120mA? Sorry if this last part is too much into theory, but I'm just curious. Much Thanks.

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
Year, make, model, what system? You should be fine, but list this info to be sure.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
Using a relay to trigger a relay. I don't think it's needed....
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2007 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
99boty wrote:

My situation right now is  connecting a 120mA factory disarm output directly to the factory disarm wire that only pulls 9 mA, and by doing so will the factory wire still only have 9mA going through it or the full 120mA? Sorry if this last part is too much into theory, but I'm just curious. Much Thanks.

The factory wire will still only pull 9mA through it. No relay needed in this application.
eurobink 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2007 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

KarTuneMan..

I just read that topic with the (7x blah blah blah) Injectors.. blah blah blah...... pistons this, compression that... i believe it was about finding a tach wire...

hehe.. almost died seeing your comment. .Perfect!

Couldn't leave reply.. OMG.. i have to print that one.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 08, 2007 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
Like JWorm said, the wire in the car will only pull what it wants, regardless of the potential of the source.
It's analagous to you wanting to buy a Coke, and opening your wallet. It doesn't matter if you have $5 or $500 in your wallet, you're still only going to pull out $1 for the Coke.
Or, looking at it the other way, if you were instead to use a relay, you're actually making more current available, not less-------you're making the full current of the car battery available, instead of just the 120mA output of the alarm.
Or, looked at another way, using the relay is like opening up your $10,000 savings account to buy the Coke instead of opening your wallet---still, only $1 will be spent.
methinfinity 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2007 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
nice analogy
kenwood mask kdc9018r, 2 x focal polyglass 165v, kicker kx700.5, jl audio 12w3v3-2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic