the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

amp trouble, or maybe sub trouble

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2007 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
Both lanceam24 and S-10: I suspect your gains are/were too high.
Support the12volt.com
lanceam24 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2007 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
if u dont mind DYohn, could u explain what this means, so i can maybe prevent this in the future? im new to the car audio world, but im tryin to learn about it. tomorrow morning i will get out there and look at how they wired it and describe it to the best of my knowledge
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2007 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
The input gain on an amplifier needs to be set so it will function correctly with the output from your head unit.  If it is set too high it will allow the amplifier to clip, which forces more voltage to pass through to the speaker without a corresponding increase in musical information.  If the amplifier is capable of putting out more voltage than the speaker can handle, it can fry the speaker's voice coil, and sound like crap doing so, and/or in the case of an amplifier with poor build quality it can destroy the output transistors through over current.  The same sort of thing can happen with too low an impedance load on an amplifier if the amplifier is not well-constructed and/or lacks a good protection circuit.  Sony Xplode amplifiers are not known for very high build quality.
Support the12volt.com
lanceam24 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2007 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  

o ok thanx for the explanitation. so it turns out i blew my sub. i took my sub out of my trunk and hooked my friends kicker up to it for a few min. and the amp was operating just fine. i took the plexiglass cover off of my bandbass box and the sub locked up. hard as a rock. the guy at best buy said to get a bigger sub because this one was 200 rms and 400 peak. and the amp is 500 rms and 1200 peak. i got the warrenty from online so imma get another one.  tomorrow i'll call and c if maybe they will just let me pay the difference to get a alpine type r. but before i do nething, i want to know what everyone thinks

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic