the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

need honest opinions on audio setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2007 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
Hey all. I am hopefully selling my truck soon, and I am selling it with the entire stereo so that I can start over with something even better. Here is what I have in mind:
Eclipse AVN6610BT - 2DIN navigation, dual dvd drives, with bluetooth, ipod, sirius, back up camera, etc.
Eclipse SC6900 6x9 components in front
eclipse SC6500 6.5" components in rear
MTX TE1004 4ch 125w x 4 at 4ohms
MTX TE1501D Mono 1500w x 1 at 1ohm
3 Kicker 10" L5 (2 dual 2 ohm, 1 dual 4 ohm to make a total of 1ohm) in custom built under seat box for a 2000-2002 ram 2500.
I cannot disclose how, but I can get everything listed above for about $2k. I would just like to get personal opinions on the above equipment. I am a big fan of clean sound... not necessarily extremely loud.
Thanks
Kenny
Also, does anyone have a good write-up on installing headrest monitors into a 1 piece seat (no removable headrest). I may also pick up a pair of eclipse 7" monitors for the headrests as well
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2007 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
The MTX won't qualify, IMO. If you can get Eclipse gear, stick with it, the XA amps would blow the MTX in the weeds for SQ.
I am also curious how you think you're gonna get 1 ohm from two 2ohm DVCs with a single 4 ohm DVC. Also, the 2 ohm drivers will (each) ALWAYS be at least 3dB louder than the 4 ohm driver (depending on how they're wired...), so I don't recommend doing that, for that reason alone. Additionally, I've never been a fan of the Kicker L5's at all... But that's just me
Also, if truly interested in SQ, you won't worry about trying to eke every last watt from your amp by slamming it with as low an impedance as it is capable of running. When you do that, the distortion increases by a factor of 2 (per impedance halving i.e. .1% @ 4 ohms, .2% @ 2 ohms, and .4% @ 1 ohm), the efficiency, amplifier longevity and damping decrease. So don't... need honest opinions on audio setup - Last Post -- posted image. The difference in output between running 1 ohm and 2 ohms (still too low, AFAIAC) is less than 3dB. You won't hear it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2007 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
I originally was going to just get 3 4ohm DVC to put it at 2.3333ish, to keep distortion down... but someone told me that the mtx amps were better at 1ohm... i was hesitant, so thats mainly why i posted. I have installed a few xa amps, and have not been pleased at all with their performance. I have gotten numerous defective amps after only a month or so of use, a few with a lot of distortion, and some that just didnt seem to have any power at all... plus, i can get the mtx amps for a much lower price (both mtx amps retail for around $800 and im getting them for about $200 each new in box. Also, I have owned numerous mtx amps and I am actually very please with both their sound quality, as well as their cooling technology... which will be a major factor since space is very limited in the ram and the amps will not have much air space for ventilation.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2007 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
If you are planning to go with Eclipse for the HU and interior speakers, and MTX for the amplifiers, why not go with some 7500 or 8500 series MTX subs, rather than throwing in another brand? Just my personal preference... I like the 7500s and 8500s just as much or better than the Kicker subs...
If you were using Kicker amps, then I would say shoot for the Kicker subs then.
offroadzj 
Posted: September 13, 2007 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
i am going with the mtx amps b/c the price is very good, and i have been very happy so far. As far as the subs go, I want to go with the kicker L5's because I have limited space, to where I can really only fit a 10" sub. However, with most 10's that i've heard in my current truck (same truck, just not diesel), they have not been as deep as I would like. I figure that with the L5, I will have the approx. same surface area as a 12" round, which will give me a little deeper bass response. Also, I currently have a 12" L5, and I am very happy with its sound.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
jfinks 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  

offroadzj wrote:
they have not been as deep as I would like. I figure that with the L5, I will have the approx. same surface area as a 12" round, which will give me a little deeper bass response. Also, I currently have a 12" L5, and I am very happy with its sound.

Size does not necsisarily mean deeper (maybe you mean louder?) Deep or low end extention has to do with putting the right combination of speaker AND box in the area you have in the car. It also has something to do with the resonese of the car interior space...

We all have our likes and dislikes so if this system makes sense to you then go for it...If you are going for SQ compition then research what is currently winning in those circles

audiomaninc 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
I think your biggest problem with getting the deep bass you seek is a result of the limited space you have under the rear seats.   I hate to say it but I'd be willing to bet that only using two subwoofers back there would produce the same output in an optimally sized enclosure, as stuffing 3 subwoofers in a too small enclosure.  I'm not sure of the specs on the L5's, but I'm absolutely certain that with 2 subwoofers back there, you're only going to have about .70 cu. ft. per subwoofer to work with.  I just recently stuffed 2 Polk MOMO 10's under the back seats of a half ton quad cab ram, powered by (2) MTX Thunder502's, and I've gotta say I was very unimpressed.  I'm not sure if it's because there wasn't enough airspace in the boxes for the subs, or because they were firing directly into the rear seat bottom, or what...but what I do know is that when I replaced them with two el cheapo Planet Audio M10's (the only thing I had in stock that would fit in the boxes), they absolutely blew me away!  I don't quite know what I'm getting at here...it's still early...but those trucks are very finicky.  Make sure you do your research before investing in something you're not going to be happy with.  Cheers!
2003 Dodge Neon R/T
Alpine CDA9813, RF T2000.1bd, RF T162S, RFT142C, RF T600.4, RF T215D4
140.7 @ 28Hz

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic