icon

bypass pats on '01 taurus

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
avedianj 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2007 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

Hello, this is my first post, looks like a great forum.

Recently I lost a set of keys to my 2001 Ford Taurus SE. I bought two new keyless entry keyfobs on ebay for a fraction of what the dealer wanted, and programed them myself in about 30 seconds, it was quite possibly the easiest money I ever saved on a car part. Now comes the trouble. I needed an extra key as well.

I went to a local key shop, they wanted $75 for the key and programming. I was shocked. Maybe I shouldn't have been, but I was anyway. SO, after having read the first part of this page, and realizing how easy the programming was, I broke down and called my local ford dealer who said the key and cutting was $30 and programming $115. I went to the dealer who cut the key and even gave me a break on it! $20!!! Happy as a pig in Schnazzle I ran home and re-read the instructions only to notice that the first part of the above page link says its for "Ford keys (1996 -early 1998..." and that for "Ford keys (Later 1998-newer Ford, Lincoln, Mercury)" which applies to me,  and that "**You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**"

Needless to say I'm upset! I thought I'd saved all this money and after all of that I have to have someone program it because I only have 1 instead of 2 keys already programmed. This is crazy. Isn't there a way to program an additional key with 1 already programmed key? There has to be. Someone please help!

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 12, 2007 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
Definitely need two keys to program by yourself.
You could bury the single key you have in a remote starter bypass module, wire up the module to come on with the car's ignition, and then make as many regular copies of the key as you'd like-------but the car would then be easier to steal, and you still need to buy the bypass module, and perform the labor. Probably not worth the trouble.
Many locksmiths can also program keys. They might be cheaper than the Ford dealer, especially if you drive the car to them. (There are mobile locksmiths who will come to you, but that would obviously cost more.)
If you have AAA Plus, I believe they pay something toward emergency locksmith service. Maybe you can make that work for you somehow.
swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2007 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
does the car have remote starter installed? if so you can put the first key to the on position until the theft light goes out, thent start the car with the remote starter but do not let it crank just let it power the ign for a couple seconds then tap the brake. insert your new key and turn to the on position till theft light goes out. your new key will now be programmed. if not your kinda stuck with the dealer or a locksmith
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
avedianj 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2007 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
Nope, I don't have the remote starter. I think that's nuts that you have to have 2 originals to program an extra...
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 13, 2007 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
It is nuts, but I'm guessing the idea is that mechanics and parking valets can't copy your key without your permission.
It's not just Ford, but Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and probably others that require two keys.
You can program extras using just one key on GM, and older Toyota, but it doesn't work using the valet key...........same idea as the Ford, only different: If the attendant has only the valet key, he can't make copies.
swerks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2007 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
avedianj wrote:
Nope, I don't have the remote starter. I think that's nuts that you have to have 2 originals to program an extra...
It is not crazy it is a security feature that protects you
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
swerks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2007 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
if i were you i would call a locksmith, get your key programmed and buy some extra blanks and program them so you have spares. the blanks can be bought on ebay for about $10.
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic