toyota rav4 factory alarm disable

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
liverlips 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I have a Carvox Two Way car alarm I am installing in a 1998 Toyata Rav4 with a factory alarm. The remote start will not work and I am assuming that it is due to factory alarm. I cannot find a fuse to disable it and if I try to just unplug the factory alarm, the vehicle will not start. Could any one help with which wires and their colors I connect to, to bypass the factory alarm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thank You,

liverlips.

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  

How have you verified there is in fact an alarm in it?

rudydapimp 
Copper - Posts: 390
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
just pulled up directwire, no factory alarm wires listed, not the final answer on those wires.. check tach connection, NSS, recheck all your cnnections for brake wire, 12v constant, ignition, accessory and starter.
liverlips 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

The factory Toyota alarm is a small, unmounted, box underneath drivers seat. I can take it, have unplugged it, and am holding it in my hand. It says right on the side Toyota V.I.P. security system electronic control unit. With this unplugged, the vehicle will not start.

Thanks....Please advise

liverlips

Scott35 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
I believe after you unplug that, you have to plug the harnesses back together. In other words, the alarm plugs in between your car's wiring. It should start after that. If that makes any sense.
Tacomacrew
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
There is a way to disarm/arm  dealer installed vip security from toyota. I unfortunately have a bad memory and my computer got zapped so I lost the bookmark with a link how to disarm it, sorry. The guy to pm on this issue is chris luongo, he is a well respected authority on toyota/nissan security etc.....
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
send a GWR to the key sense wire to disable the OEM security system....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
xtremej........aww, thank you very much!
liverlips,
I've worked on a 1997 RAV4 with the same type of alarm you mention. Owner of the car wanted the alarm removed. (I still have it too!)
It's not a true factory-installed alarm. It's a Toyota-brand, but dealer-installed system.
Okay, here are the basics:
---If the system isn't armed now, and you've made your remote start connections at the steering column like any typical car, the remote start should work fine.
Therefore, if your remote start doesn't work, it's because it's defective, or not installed properly.
Tell us more details about how it's "not working" and we'll try to help. What does it do when you try to remote start the car?
---If the car sees "keysense" when the ignition is turned on, the alarm will disarm. It's a small wire (probably blue) at the key cylinder, that tests as a ground whenever a key is inserted.
You could temporarily leave a key in the ignition and try the remote start, although if you have already disarmed the system with the remote, this probably isn't your problem.
---It should be noted that the Toyota remote will NOT work with the ignition on, and therefore won't work with the remote start running either.
You could remember to ALWAYS use the Toyota remote when the car is off, and ALWAYS use the keyless-entry feature of the remote starter when the car is running..................if you don't mind carrying two separate remotes, you'll be fine-------but you could easily trigger the alarm by accident if you do it wrong.
---You can also remove the Toyota system if you don't like it. If you follow the harnesses around, you'll see that the majority of it is a sort of "T-harness" system, that "tees" into the car's factory wiring
For example, there's a male plug that goes into the ignition switch, and a female plug that goes into the car's wiring.
Just unplug the T harness, plug the parts of the car back together, and the alarm is gone. There are maybe two or three direct, hand-made splices into the car too.
---Or, you could just install RS/keyless, and choose never to touch/use the Toyota alarm again. It wouldn't be a bad idea to leave the Toyota remote in the glove box, just in case it somehow re-arms itself.
liverlips 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  

I do not have the remote(s) to car, but will try to disarm by wiring.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and input....

liverlips

liverlips 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
One more thing sorry...What is a "GWR"??
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic